Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anyone whos been cured of thunder phobia

Does anyone know anyone whos been cured of thunder phobia

hi im not sure if this has been posted before i could not see a topic on it.
    im scared of thunder and i was if anyone knows or if there is anyone out there who has been cured of having this phobia so i know where to get help and im getting tired of it. ive tryed psychologist who plays tapes to you and stuff but i like watching storms on tv so that does not help.

so if uve got a story let us know thanks.

Re: Does anyone know anyone whos been cured of thunder phobia

Hi, Ive not met anyone with that fear or gotten over it. However CBT is usually pretty successful at getting people past their phobias. Ask for GP for a referral.

Hi,
    As a child I had a terrible fear of thunder and lightening. Once it was so bad we were out shopping and I had to keep my mum in the chemists till it passed, we were there for hours! They managed to coax me out of the shop and into the car which was right outside when the thunder was only rumbling...it was horrendous! It didnt ease till I got older and was affraid to show my fear to my friends so pretended to be brave when all along I was a quivering wreck inside. When I had my kids I couldnt let them see I was scared as I didnt want to put my fears on them and now, although Im still frightened I try my best not to show it. When we have a storm in the night my hubby holds my hand and the poor dog who is as scared as me jumps on the bed and hides his head. Im still scared but not like I was as a child and I dont think it will ever go away, I just deal with it the best I can.
    Take care,

ill try not to show my daughter that im scared of it. i remember when i was little i was not scared of it but my mum was. i used to see her scared in the kitchen and i guess this kind of made me scared too. also there was a bad storm when i was primary 6 and i was pritty scared and then from then on i think i got worse. its a bit of a pain as it stops me from going out or going on holiday.

Have had this fear since I was little.

It is the lightening that I am scared of as I am convinced I am the one that will get struck.

As it has been hot of late I am really getting worried that soon we will have a storm.
    Last year I panicked real bad at home in a storm and had to sit on the stairs crying and praying till it was over.

My eldest son who is 28 loves it and he studies the weather and had radar over our house and he makes me worse as he tells me when it will be over the house.
    I sit glued to weather forecasts if there is talk of a storm and no way would I dare go out if there was talk of a storm.

It is much worse for me now my husband had died and I feel I have to some how deal with this alone as no one really understands just how bad my fear is with this.

I have told my cb therapist he said it is just another of my fears as I have been diagnosed as fearing normal things and turning them into life threatening situations in my mind

you can watch the radar on the meto.gov.uk site instead of watching weather forcasts but yeah i do the same i watch them on the internet. u can also listen to headphones like i do put on a cd and that should calm you down or an mp3 player so you can walk about and not hear it i take mine everywhere with me just in case.
    i know how you feel when no one understands its only my mum who does everything thinks theres nothing to be scared of its only thunder. they dont have to live everyday watching weather forcasts and being depressed because you cant do what you wanna do.

I had a huge fear of thunder lightening, and heavy rain. i became so obsessed with watching the weather channel and the actual sky that I would not go out if I saw a dark looking cloud. I was terrified of being stuck at home in a storm and the power would do out so there would be no distration from the thunder and lightening.
    BUt I have gotten over it completely, I still dont like the light flash of lightening but it doesn't fill me with dread or panic, and I actually like the rain now.
    I used exposure techniques, CBT to move past it. It took one winter of listening to the storm, then opening the window a little , then standing in the open door way, then standing outside for a while, etc etc untill I could handle a good storm in any situation. I went from being so upset when there was weather update on the news to watching tornado chasers on tv, and now I think I would quite like to go do that in America.
    So it is totally something you can get over, It was a huge part ofmy life for awhile and now its insignificant.
    Get a Behaviour therapist or buy a really good bahviour therapy book and starting working on it

good luck

to loveletter i forgot to say if u get a mp3 player u can get the inear headphones for if ure out of the home you can get good ones that cancel out any outside noise but they are around £30 for a good pair sony make them. i prefer to use the over ear one that go over your ears for in the house as they can go louder! remember to get energizer rechargeable batteries as these have more power and can last up to 8 hours. i usally have 4 of these in my pocket lol incase the power goes out or if one dies.
    but also remember if u have the headphones on try and do something with ure hands like play the playstation or do some cleaning and that will take your mind of things.

it thundered last night i seen the lightning so i knew it was coming i waited for it. i sat it out without the headphones its kind of a rush but i tryed to calm myself. ive been trying like you said butterfly to watch it at the window and have the window open to hear it im gettin better slowly but i still would not go out yet.

I'm just interested, are you not scared of lightening at all then? Just thunder?

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

no i like lightening. i used to be scared of fireworks when i was younger too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information