Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone know anyone whos been cured of thunder phobia

Re: Does anyone know anyone whos been cured of thunder phobia

Quote Originally Posted by VicCharlie View Post
    How have you all coped today? I've been dreading today since friday lol. Im so pleased I came across this thread and site! I'm really sick of my fear of thunderstorms.. i've tried CBT and Fearfighters, got stacks of self help books. I know im nearly there getting over it but i just cant get over that last little bit of fear.. guess its just a case of keep on trying ?

How do you cope with work and having this fear? ive missed a few shifts because of it now.. convinced im going to get sacked..

Vic
    i know how u feel m8 its hard for me to get a job far away as i dont drive and have to get public transport and my phobia stops me from doing this and ive missed appointments this week because of the weather, when u tell someone whats wrong i dont know if they think im talkin bull or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Caz 47 View Post
    Hi everyone im so glad im not alone on this one i have been frightened of thunderstorms since i was seven years old when i saw a house struck and living with this fear has been horrible i track storms coming our way i keep going to the weather on the computer to see what is going to happen then i live in total fear till it arrives .. nightime is the worst when you cant see the clouds and if it is moving away ... it rumbled last night which put me on high alert i had no sleep just waiting for it to happen it didnt ...i listen to very loud music on my headphones when it arrives but im so scared its like a huge panic attack taking place my heart thumps i sweat i panic and i feel like a trapped rat in a hole that cant get out ....

I have known the time i have raced down to my local supermarket when i was on my own to be near other people and feel safe in a huge building with no windows ..

I know how everyone feels i even downloaded a real thunderstorm on itunes so i could listen to it i wondered if that would help but im afraid it didnt ..

Its not as if you can get on the computer when it is here cause everything electrical goes off ...so it is a case of feeling very very alone ... Caz..
    thats why i have mp3 player in case the electric goes out and it makes my music moblie so i can try and do other things to take my mind of it. you say u cant get to sleep but try and relax on the bed with some soothing music on ure mp3 player instead of something really thumping . it might calm you down a bit more if u listen to something more relaxing and close your eyes and pretend your else where. i was doing this the other night and trying to control my breathing i had a couple of vodkas which helped lol. i have lots of samples of storms and rain if anyone needs them as i have them for producing music. but yeah they dont help your phobia much as there not real but it could get u used to hearing the noise.

do u have a partner caz? if u do he could lye on the bed with you and hug you while u have ure headphones on and maybe he could open the blinds and maybe window and maybe if u want try and watch it. i used to sit in my room with a blanket up at the window many years ago but now im with my partner i try to watch it at the window im not as bad as i was then but getting better slowly.

Had a horrible afternoon and early evening yesterday.

From about half 4 to half 7 it lightened on and off.

Sat in the front room with 2 of my boys with the telly off and of course too scared to put lap top on as I am unsure how safe it is to go on a lap top in a storm.

Ended up feeling real sick and did not really eat much as felt my throat was closing up a bit.

Now I am sitting here all day worried out of my mind, have bible study at some ones house tonight but have seen on the weather forecast could be storms here early evening so think I will be too scared to go out even though it is only up the road and someone is picking me up in a car.
    Even if it did not look to bad when it was time to go out what would I do if it got bad while I was out as would not be able to leave the persons house and come home.

My biggest worry is tomorrow. I am not normally on my own in the house very often but Tuesday is the day I some times have to do a few hours on my own and now I am reading storms for this area for tomorrow.
    Fell like crying to my sons begging them not to go out but I can not do this.

I am out of mind with worry about how I will cope tomorrow.

I keep begging God to please not let the storm come here while I am alone as I really see my self ending up dyeing all on my own

ive missed appointments now with my phobia and now this a4e agency dont want me to go on a work training course they want me to go to see my doctor again and try and get signed off jobseekers so i dont have to go on these training courses in case it thunders and also get signed off from looking for work. great stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information