Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If one SSRI stops working will they all?

If one SSRI stops working will they all?

Hi, I've been on fluxotine for about three years, mostly at 20mg with about a year at 40mg. Things were going ok so dropped to 20mg, until recently when the anxiety reared it's ugly head again, sure enough the depression soon followed. I am pretty sure the low feelings are caused by the anxiety spells. I have re-upped my dose to 40mg on Sunday and will see how that goes. Early symptom could be increased anxiety but not sure as it wa bad before anyway. My question is if fluxotine has stopped working on me does that mean the ssri's are no longer an option or has anyone successfully transferred from one ssri to another after a long spell of 2 years or more?

Re: If one SSRI stops working will they all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jebdog View Post
    My question is if fluxotine has stopped working on me does that mean the ssri's are no longer an option
    No, I'm sure that's not the case, but give it a few weeks on 40mg if you can, it's definitely worked better for me than 20mg this time but it wasn't a case of instant results. x

Well like you say I'll give 40mg a go again to see if it will lift me out of this anxiety hell. I think it worked before so am hoping it can do so again. I'd just hate to think I'd exhausted my ssri options as I know one or two of them may be better than fluxotine for anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebdog View Post
    Well like you say I'll give 40mg a go again to see if it will lift me out of this anxiety hell. I think it worked before so am hoping it can do so again. I'd just hate to think I'd exhausted my ssri options as I know one or two of them may be better than fluxotine for anxiety.
    No, I'm sure you would still be able to try other SSRIs.

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Hi Jebdog

No, you definitely won't have exhausted other SSRIs as an option if fluoxetine has stopped working. They're all different. I used to take fluoxetine but it didn't work for me, so I switched to Seroxat, which did work. Seroxat eventually stopped working and I switched to sertraline, which worked. So you still have other options.

Dahlia

Yep, what Dahlia said.

Thanks Guys,

Was hoping this was the case, guess it depends on person to person, but I'm hopeful that a switch could be what I need as I'm not sure the fluoxetine is helping at the moment. Upped to 40mg a week ago and still no real improvement. Guess a week isn't a really long time though.

Dahlia, how long was you on Seroxat for? Did it work a better than fluxotine? And was the transfer to Sertraline successful? Do you still take it?

What do you currently take Baggs?

Right now I am on Lofepramine, which is an old-style tri-cyclic. It doesn't actually seem to be helping right now, but I will press on with it for a while. All the best. Baggs.

Good luck with the Lofepramine Baggs, how long you been taking it?

Have you had any luck in the past with meds?

I've just done the first week with Fluxetine back at 40mg, no joy yet, but I hope to see some improvement at some point.

I am on Fluoxetine too, have upped my dose to 40mg 40 days ago as the 20mg didn't seem to be doing anything, I was on them a few years ago but came off when I fell pregnant with my son & felt ok until recently when I decided that I should go back onto them. I can't say that I have really felt much difference this time being on them & I thought that maybe they weren't working for me this time (I really didn't think that could be possible but guess I'm wrong)
    I'm quite worried though as I tried Paroxetine & Citalopram before & had bad reactions to both & it took a lot to find one suitable for me so I really don't want to have to go down that route myself too.

Good luck xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information