Thread: Why is it? / Mindfulness

Why is it? / Mindfulness

Why is it that when you are worried about a particluar health condition - as soon as you switch the tv on they are talking about it - as soon as you look in a magzine or newspaper there will be an article and in conversation with friends and family they are bound to start talking about someone who died from it!!! This is when my brain says - it cant possibly be a coincidence all this must me I have it too!!!!
    Now I know common sense tells me that that cant be true - and I have been reading up about mindfulness and been attempting to meditate - this really has had a positive effect - I just hope this carries on - I have an appointment at the breast clinic next week and first of all I need to get through the time between now and then - and also I need to get through the appointment I just need to be able to cope and I believe that mindfulness is helping.
    Does anyone use mindfulness or can anyone recommend any reading?
    Deb x

Re: Why is it? / Mindfulness

Thanks for the support Paul - it really helps

I will look up the book - and I have already been trying the online videos - they are really useful, I've found the breathing techniqes are really working, I could get quite interested in Buddism I think - I really like their outlook on life and ways of thinking

It sounds like you are doing well with the meditation so far, well done!

I liked this book as it is very simple and a short read.
    http://www.anxietypanic.com/150.html

Also, if you are interested there is loads here: http://www.zencast.org/ including some podcasts which I have really enjoyed listening too.

I just wanted to know what sort of videos you are looking at online? I would really like some pointers towards some decent ones for relaxation, breathing techniques and meditation

thanks for the links - i will check those out x
    the videos that i have looked at were mainly on you tube, just searched mindfulness and meditation x

i know that ruby wax has a masters degree in mindfullness from bangot university - she got into it after a nervous breakdown - saw her speak at an event about it. I like the technique at its most basic level it seems to be like meditation 'light' but its more than that - I think its alot about being in the moemnt and not attaching importance to thoughts especially negative ones - it helps you train your brain to keep the thoughts at bay by creating new neuro channels.

good luck

hi debbsi if you go onto youtube google mindfulness or relaxation they have a lot of good videos on there and also there is a site by a lady called deirdre fay who does mindfulness, take care hun

Thread Information