Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going on holiday by Eurostar

Going on holiday by Eurostar

Hi i am due to go away on holiday to Paris on Sunday and we are travelling by Eurostar. I have never been on the Eurostar before and I am beginning to feel really apprehensive.

I have been having a rough time recently and this has led to a series of PA's and IBS which has been quite debilitating. However I have persevered with going to work and trying to keep plodding on and gradually I think things are improving.

When I went away at Christmas the PA's took me my surprise and I think I am nervous about going away and feeling unwell but also I am really nervous about going on the Eurostar which is a whole new experience. I have managed to conquer my fear of flying in the past by going on a "Fear of Flying" course and was so chuffed with myself for actually being able to undertake a 4 hour flight and go to places that I would not be able to go to any other way.

However I think now that I understand that the air stewards understand about anxiety and are able to be there if you need them and I think I draw on this when I fly now. I am beginning to feel anxious as I dont think that the same will be found on the Eurostar! I dont like the tube or trains but I am trying to think positive that this is not the tube and it is a different type of train etc etc. However I am still feeling nervous. It is around the feeling of being trapped and being in an enclosed space.

This break has been booked for ages and I am really looking forward to going away to Paris for Valentine's Day with my partner and my daughter. However I dont want the break spoiled by either me feeling ill with IBS and experiencing horrible PA's and ending up spaced out on tranquillisers which I was at Christmas.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eurostar is a wonderful way to travel to Paris. I travel to France many times a year, from Ashford, Kent. I'm lucky because I only live 15 minutes away from Ashford.

Trying using the techniques you learnt from your fear of flying course, just alter it from plane to train.

Carl.

I have exactly the same problems as you - when I have to travel anywhere or stay away from home I get agoraphobic and panicky.

I have to travel to Dijon every now and again for research and the thought of the Eurostar and the tunnel made me feel very uneasy. Once you get going you probably won't even notice that you are on anything other than an ordinary train. The time spent under the Channel is only 20 minutes and is no different to a short journey on the London underground.

I often find myself going to sleep for most of the journey and it now bypasses me completely. And its not as if you wouldn't be able to get off the train if the panic became really unbearable - most Eurostar services to Paris stop at Ashford in Kent and again at Calais-Frethun on the other side. This is what I tell myself and I usually find that I forget all about needing to get off once I am on the way.

The train is bearable - it's Paris that is NOT!!! - what a hellhole!!!!!!

What would be in your 'Anxiety Toolbox'?

Try that thread for some travel tips

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi,

Take Carl's advice and apply those flying phobia tips. The two are quite similar in that you are in a fast moving enclosed space from which you can't escape from.

But think of some big positives

* the speed of the train means that you will be ever nearer to Paris
    * for much of the journey, you will be seeing new vistas, so enjoy them
    * focus on your two loved ones who will be with you
    * keep remembering the success of that 4 hour flight
    * 7 million people travelled on Eurostar last year and they're still here!

Don't forget to take plenty of water, a good book/music and perhaps some Rescue Remedy to help you have a comfortable journey.

I'm off for a day trip to Paris myself on 25th, but I wish you a great trip.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi

I think the above posts are right, apply the flying techinques but substitute train for plane. As for using Eurostar you will love it, it is an experience and a smooth ride to boot. Just think of the time in Paris, the sites the sounds it is supposed to be the most romantic city in the world, and your there for valentines day all I can say is enjoy

keith

Oh wow! what fabulous and positive replies to my post! thank you so much. I feel a lot more confident about trying to treat this whole trip as a new learning experience.

It is reassuring to read other people saying things that you think you are alone in thinking. I can so identify with many things that have been said. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I really appreciate it and it helps a lot.

I am taking my CD from the flying course as well as my other panic comforters and trying to go forward with a positive attitude. Thank you.

Can understand why you are dubious. You have had some great advice and hope it has helped you.

Have a great time, we will be thinking of you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

I've been on Eurostar once and it really wasn't that bad.

It's very quick, no more than 20 minutes. It's a wierd sensation at first, but you get used to it very quickly.

I found that by the time I had relaxed (10-15 mins), the train started slowing and we had arrived.

Thanks everyone for your replies and for your helpful advice. I am trying to remain focused and positive although am finding it difficult at present. Will let you know how it goes. [8D]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information