Thread: My Citalopram Journey

My Citalopram Journey

I am a 52 year old man, who has a great partner, but has let work get on top of me. I spend most of my week away at the opposite end of the country to where I live. The hours are tortuous and spend many nights alone in hotel rooms pondering worring, not sleeping and feeling so anxious.
    Last week on my way up the motorway for another week away I cracked and turned back. I couldn't stop crying, my heart was racing and I felt like I was having a heart attack. I managed to get home but thought, this is it I'm gonna pop my cloggs! I managed to get an appointement with the Doc, who has signed me off work.
    This week he has put me on medicaation and this is now my third day on Citalopram and I feel like crap. From the start every time I've slept I wake with a headache, which is something I don't usually suffer from.
    I feel so low today I can barely type this thread but wanted to know how others felt. I have tingles in my fingers and cannot stop yawning which is very weird.
    I feel so anxious I want to burst. I have been very good over the years of hiding my feelings and being the life and soul of the party. Everyones good time guy but inside I just want to clear off and bury myself.

I feel like I'm rambling, but it has helped typing this. Sorry I've waffled on.

Re: My Citalopram Journey

Hi SD,
    Sounds like the side effects you're having are pretty normal, I've had similar ones myself, yawning, headaches and tingling in my arms and fingers as a reduced appetite among others. They tend to fade as you progress so just work your way through. You're halfway through the first week, which is often the toughest, hopefully by this time next week you'll feel an improvement even if it's just being able to relax a bit and get some sleep.

Ramble away and don't be afraid to ask for help, whether it's here or from another source, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks when it started, I've dealt with depression for over a decade and that's relatively easy to get through compared to the trapped, desperate feelings you get with anxiety and panic attacks.

I found having a banana as a snack and some camomile tea on an evening helped me get through, both are good for helping you get over the anxiety a bit. My situation is not having a job, yours is having one that's taking you away from your family a lot, sometimes you just can't win.

Keep going SD, it feels hopeless now but you never know what's waiting round the corner, it's just a matter of getting there.

Re: My Citalopram Journey

Hi

All what you described are common side effects of Citalopram it should all wear off within next few weeks and then you should start feeling the benefir of this drug (usually takes 2 months to kick in properly).
    This is my 3rd time on Citalopram and i suffered from side effects every single time when started taking the tablets. You just need to give it a time before you start feeling better. I only started 2 weeks ago and the increased anxiety is still there which is a bumer but i hope this will go away soon.

Good luck

Thread Information