Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Dothiepin

Stopping Dothiepin

Hi There,
    I have health anxiety and am also trying to stop the anti depressants I have been on for 14 years! I am on the lowest dose which is 25mg but because they are capsules I can't split them to get a lower dose. I dont want to just stop taking them so was wondering if its possible to take them every second night instead then every third night? I mentioned to achemist about putting the capsule in a drink and drinking half but they said its not a good idea. I would really appriciate some advice.

Kind Regards

Re: Stopping Dothiepin

Hi Sunflower I have recently come off dothiepin 150mg. I had been on it for sixteen years. I believe that you could taper them by taking one on alternate nights. You will need a plan as to how you will eventually taper them off. I have a very foward thinking psychiatrist who got me off them fairly quickly. I had a few rough days and tearful nights but it was easier to do than I thought. I suggest that you talk to your GP/Psychiatrist and find something that you are comfortable with. The side effects from coming off were far easier to deal with than when I came off mirtazapine. Take care. EJ.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

You could alternate taking it every other night etc but remember that these drugs weren't designed to be taken like that, so not sure whether it'll make it much easier. As you're on the lowest dose though, you could try, unless your doctor can come up with a better idea.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Dear Sunflower he might agree to alternate nights and then to stop completey. I did this but on a much bigger dose. The fallout was a lot less than I expected. Please please do not attempt any reductions in your dose without talking to your doctor first. EJ

Thank You so much for your help. I took a capsule on Mon and Wed nights this week so have had 2 alternating nights so far. I do feel bit wierd and also had headache last night. I am concerned though that taking them alternate nights means I am getting a dose then none, then getting another dose and none. Not as good as tapering properly if you see what I mean. I was wondering if there is some way I could put the capsule in a drink and drink half meaning I get half every night? I spoke to a couple of pharmacists who didn't recommend doing this as they thought it was mean't to be taken in a capsule. I wonder if I could split the capsule and take half out then put it back together? Oh why could they not make things like this easy for us???

Thanks again for your help.
    Kind Regards

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I wouldn't advise trying to open the capsule to divide the dose as it's impossible to measure and you'll be getting different doses each time which may make matters worse.

Why don't you have a chat with your doctor Sunflower and explain things as they may just tell you to stop taking it as it's such a low dose. Or if you're doing well on it you could just continue to take it. Why do you want to come off it? Either way, I would recommend speaking to your doctor.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi There,
    I have taken everyones advice on board and will go back to my Doctor to discuss stopping them. I have been on them for nearly 14 years and just feel like I want to try stopping them. I have been taking the 25mg (lowest dose) for a while now but am still scared!

Thanks again. Its really nice to talk to other people who understand

Hiya Hun. I went cold turkey from 75mg. Felt awful for 3 days then was absolutely fine so I would have thought u will be fine love x

Quote Originally Posted by loulabella View Post
    Hiya Hun. I went cold turkey from 75mg. Felt awful for 3 days then was absolutely fine so I would have thought u will be fine love x

Hi There,
    Thanks also for the advice. How long were you on Dothiepin for?

Thanks Again

About 3 months hunni x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information