Thread: Xanax or Valium?

Xanax or Valium?

I have been taking a very small dose of valium on an rare as needed time for 2-3 weeks now and I saw my psych today about meds and she said stay away from valium and go onto xanax (alprazolam) instead (as needed) as it is shorter lived in the blood and therefore better for you but others tell me stay away from xanax!

Now I know they are the same type of anti anxiety meds and I know they can all be addictive but what is better? Xanax is newer so maybe better? Why is valium so bad? I asked the Psych but all she said was its newer and stays less time in your systom... Didnt really explain how valium is so bad when they are same kind of meds and both have addiction potentials etc...

I thought maybe someone here with an understanding could help? It really is a LOW dose and RARE for me to take it etc.

I now have both and conflicting reports :(
    From reading the page on this site regarding them both and comparing them myself, it seems as you think valium is a better option and the xanax is more addictive? Let me know thanks as I have both and dont mind what one I use. I dont want to start a problem with meds lol

Anyone help please?

Cheers
    Paul

Learning to underreact

Paul

Xanax is more effective and is shorter term and thus people seem to enjoy its response more so get addicted more easily as its easier to reach in their pockets for one.

If you can control your usage and really only use it in desperate circumstances then you are totally fine to go ahead and use it.

I suggest you use half whatever you are prescribed as a start- you can titrate upwards to find the dose to suit you.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thank you.

I always use less than recommended. They have prescribed the lowest dose avail and I will break in half.

Just wondering if maybe the valium in such small doses is better since it has worked for me.

I am an ex alcoholic too.

Thank yoy
    paul

Learning to underreact

I dont know if you guys have seen it or have it on your website but I stumbled across this UK site and it is VERY useful indeed about benzos.

In particular, it also confirmed what I read here and made my mind up about what drug to take if and when needed. Valium is the choice for sure I think if needed between the two. It explains it all on the site and in detail and basically has all benzos you can think of. They actually use valium to get people of xanax etc.. All explained there.

Site here:
    http://www.benzo.org.uk

Valium (diazepam) versus others here:
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashvtaper.htm

Sorry if it has been done before but was a great help to me anyway

Cheers
    Paul

Learning to underreact

Thread Information