Thread: medication

medication

hi. just a quick question. im on my third week in an anxiety management group. i did one a year and a half ago and found it very helpfull as i was able to pretty much live a normal life afterwards. however my anxiety has come back over the last couple of months due to some personal problems. my question is about medication. out of the 13 people who are in the course with me, i am the only one who is not on some sort of anxiety medication. i have never, do not now, and never will believe that anxiety can be cured by medication. but i do question the fact that out of 13 people, i am the only one. i would really appreciate any opinions or thoughts form any one on here. my kindest regards to you from panelman.

Re: medication

It's wonderful if you can work through it without any medications. My MD wanted me to be on an SSRI, but I just did not handle those well (I have a med phobia), so I did not stay on those after a day or two. I do take a benzodiazepine, Ativan, a very small dose. .5mg in the morning and .5 at noon. I don't really even want to be on that, but my doctor assures me it is a low dose and I can taper/quit when I want. I am starting back to work next week after being off for 2 and a half months, so will probably stay on the Ativan for a little while. I am very nervous about going back to work. Very stressful job. I have a panic disorder.
    I do know that many people that post on this site have found that SSRI's have been helpful for them. So, you should do whatever works or is best for you.

Hi I am not on meds but feel it is a individual thing and some people benifit from meds some dont .

I have been tempted to try when my anxiety/panic is really bad , but i hate taking Meds so it is swings/ roundabouts .

If you are doing ok without ? keep at it there may be a time when Meds are needed but for now i like you choose not to .

Take Care Maggie

I so agree with you panelman. I went down the medication route in my twenties and it didnt work. I panicked about taking meds lol!

I think its all down to getting to know yourself in your "un-medded" state. Once you know what is happening to you you learn to live with it and to manage it and no longer fear it. It also helps an awful lot to know that there are millions of others who suffer the same as we do, they just either deny it or try to hide it.

Thread Information