Thread: major flashback in very public place

major flashback in very public place

today my 3 beautiful girls and i went to a busy theme park.out of nowhere,i felt sick and rushed to the loo.being sick i had a very traumatic flashback to the sexual abuse.i ran from the loo to find my wife and wept in public saying "i never got my treat".what this meant was i was tricked by the abusers into going with them through promises of treats.i felt like a tiny,hurt,heartbroken wee child,so hurt that not only had i been raped,but that they lied and i never got my treat.it sounds so ridiculous in some ways,yet is crystal clear logic in others.i guess the theme park,all these happy wee kids getting treats was a very deep reminder,but PTSD works backwards for me,first sickness,then flashbacks,then absolute flat woe,then,after a while,some kind of sense of what it is about.often my first,childlike reactions are the most accurate and the most telling."i never got my treat" my wife was stunning as ever and kept me together,allowing me to cry,but then quietly moving us back into the moment and the lovely day we were having.i felt closer to my girls after this,and we had a lovely day.my children,as should all children,got their treats.enough said.
    Last edited by ASH65; 31-05-10 at 20:21.

Re: major flashback in very public place

Hi Ade,

Just wanted to send you a big hug here if you need me. I hope you go back to your GP soon

Lynnann

Hello ASH65. I replied to one of your earlier posts. Treatment of PTSD is supposed to be a lot better over the last (very) few years and it (PTSD) is almost a scourge on our modern global society. There are techniques and even some meds that are thought to be helpful in mitigating symptoms such as you have described.

Hopefully your doctors are working with you and you are confident about making some progress towards wellness. You might find some things worth asking your doctor about by reading the treatment options in the clinical guidelines published here. Alas, PTSD is a little bit out of date .. but not too much,

http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG26 or navigate around from the homepage at http://www.nice.org.uk or comprehensive list of disorders http://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG/Published

I hope this might help

Hello ASH, thank yo for sharing this, can't have been easy to do. I still hesitate to talk about my past so i admire you. I know a SUPERB psychologist who could really help you with this, he is one of the best in the UK and as i have been treated by him for over a year i know without a doubt that he could help you so much, he's brilliant. Based in Scotland though, don't know where you are but if you want the details let me know. PS. Your wife sounds wonderful, treasure her!

Thread Information