Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scared to take pregabalin

scared to take pregabalin

Any help advice would be greatly apprectiated. I am currently taking mirtazipine 30mg for depression/anxiety which has helped me enormously and allowed me to go back to work after 5 months off. Unfortunately I keep having periods of anxiety which sometimes lasts right through the day and is not at all nice. I went back to my GP last week and have been given pregabalin and have been told to take 50mg 1st week then 100mg 2nd week then 150mg 3rd week. After reading some of the posts on here am too scared to take it plus this last week I have been absolutely normal???? But have started to suffer again with the anxiety. I am off for a week next week and was hoping to last out (or suffer) until then as I dont want the side effects of dizziness to stop me going to work...I have a deadline to meet this week and just cannot be off.

Anyone please help????

The dizziness is it copeable??? When I started on mirtazipine I had drunk/dizziness and found it impossible to work, so dont want to go down that road if it can be helped.

Thanks. JO.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: scared to take pregabalin

I hope you're coping with the anxiety Jo. The dizziness shouldn't be a major problem on such a low dose. It may not be a problem at all. In any case, it passes quickly. I know I wasn't prescribed it primarily for anxiety but I think it's helped me more than any other med I've been on. Unfortunately all meds have some side effects but if you look at the overall picture, compromises must be made.

If you feel more comfortable starting it when you're off work then do that, but please give the pregabalin a chance. It may be the med that finally offers some respite to your anxiety.

Let me know how you get on and you're always welcome to PM me if you need advice/support.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi Melancholia,

Thanks for that....I have decided to start taking it from Sunday when I start my weeks holiday....you know what its like cos I have read about the dizziness I will be waiting for it and will probably just make my anxiety worse!!! Madness!!!

I definately have to do something as I have been up and down again this week with the anxiety....Tuesday I had to travel to London on a course, I felt absolutely awful but I did it...God knows how. You look back and think how the hell did I do that but somehow you do cos you have to. I know suffering yourself you will know what I mean!!!

Do you suggest I take it at night along with the mirtazipine initailly or in the morning??

Thanks for helping me with this and for your encouragement!! How are you feeling now??

JO.xx

Thanks Jo, I'm a lot better. I reduced my antidepressant back to 50mg and so far I'm OK. But I'm used to the ups and downs now...

Hmm, because pregabalin is a short-acting med and you're really supposed to take it twice a day, I'm not sure about what time you should take it tbh. To be on the safe side, it may be a good idea to take it at night in case you get the dizziness. Also it can make you drowsy initially so again taking it at night would make sense. I take it morning and night (which you'll be doing soon too). It does take a few hours to kick in and it should help fairly quickly (like benzos), not weeks and weeks like SSRIs etc.

Sure you'll be fine though and I hope it helps you.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Am so glad you are feeling alot better Melancholia. Thanks for your advice. I had a pretty awful morning again yesterday but again by afternoon and evening was o.k again and was sat watching tv last night thinking how could I have felt like I had yesterday morning??? So strange how these things effect us. Again I feel crap at this moment but have work today so hopefully the distraction should help!!!

Will let you know how I get on when I start taking the new meds, its a relief to know that hopefully it should help fairly quickly and I wont have to wait weeks to feel I difference, well am hoping so anyhow.

Just one other question, any weight gain with these?? Not that I really care, I just want to feel o.k. again but just wondered as I gained around half stone when going on Mirtazipine!!! Blooming meds!!! Lol!!

Take care
    Jo.xx

Hi JT69 - I just had to reply to your post, because I have been on Pregabalin for severe anxiety and panic attacks for over a year, and it is amazing! The only side effect is feeling a little unsteady to begin with, but that soon goes and the benefit far outweighs the side effects. I wouldn't be able to have a panic attack now - it seems like a very distant dream - I was taking Mirtazapine as well, but am now on just Pregabalin - go for it - it's a very clever discovery, and I was addicted to benzos. so needed something non-addictive as well.

Hi Skippy, Thanks for replying....I have started to take the meds took 50mg last night and then again this morning. My GP had said to start on 50mg a day but I (naughty I know) have decided to take it in the morning and at night (this was surposed to be what I had to do on week 2). I have a week off work and wanted to get it into my system whilst I'm off. Could I ask what dose do you take?? And can you remember how long it was before you started to benefit?? My anxiety is there as soon as i wake up and I spend alot of the day fighting it off. Am not having a very good time of it at all at the moment!!! Thanks again for the encouragement. Jo.xx

How are you doing Jo? So you decided to bite the bullet and take it twice a day... I think you did the right thing personally. It's meant to be taken like that and I think once a day would have given you withdrawal symptoms after 12 hours.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi Melancholia,

I feel alot better today. Yesterday was a bit awful but I think it was due to the anxiety rather than the meds. I have not felt dizzzy just a little more tired and last night I slept for almost 12 hours. What do you think re: increasing to 150mg?? Do you think I should do that this week or wait until next week?? I looked it up in mims and it says the starting dose should be 150mg?? I think my Gp was probably trying to minimise the side effects. I am so hoping these help me...the fact that I feel alot better today is giving me the confidence that it could happen.

Thanks for supporting me...it really does help.

Hope you are doing o.k.

Jo.xx

Hi Jo

Yeah, I really don't think anything below 150mg will cut it with GAD. It's really good news that you haven't had any major side effects. You should feel reassured about that. Allow a week before increasing to 150mg - don't feel you have to rush. Let the med get into your system and settle somewhat first.

I'm OK thanks. Went out over the weekend and it really took it out of me but I'll be fine.

I replied to your PM too.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information