Thread: Exercises that help me deal with panic attacks.

Exercises that help me deal with panic attacks.

Hi Everyone,

I have been attending a class to help ease anxiety. It's been very helpful and I am now confident that panic can be overcome. Here are a couple of exercises that I have written down and now carry around with me. In the event that I do panic I follow a few rules and the panic DOES subside.

Do this 3 times a day or whenever you feel anxious:

1. Become aware of your breathing by placing one hand on your chest and one on your tummy.

2. Let your chest relax down, and as you breathe in allow your tummy to swell forwards and fall back gently as you breathe out.

3. Try to get a rhythm going. It usually helps to count as you breath to make sure your breathing is regular.

4. Next, try to slow your rate of breathing down by putting a short pause after you have taken a breath and before you breathe out again.

Do this until it becomes second nature.

Rules for coping with an anxiety attack:

1. Wait and give the fear time to pass without fighting it or running away. Just accept it, let it happen and it will pass.

2. Remember that these feelings are nothing more than an exageration of the body's quite normal reactions to stress.

3. These feelings are not in the least harmful or dangerous. Nothing worse will happen. Anxiety at it's optimum can only last for a short time, levels will lower.

4. See each anxiety attacks as an opportunity to learn how to cope with them. With practise you will learn better how to handle them.

5. When the anxiety begins to fade, congratulate yourself for having stayed in the situation and got through it.

Make a list of situations you fear (from least to most). Tackle these situations one at a time:

1. Be specific about what you are going to do e.g. Go to the shop and spend 20 mins inside.

2. Expect to feel some anxiety.

3. Do not leave the situation when the anxiety rises. Put up with these feelings and remember that they will feel better afterwards if you stick it out.

4. Doing this once is not enough. Repeat it several times to pratise and build up your confidence.

Hope this helps! I've been doing much bettersince I started these eercises. I feel that I am taking control. I'll keep you all posted with any other tips.

CHLOE X

Great post thanks for that

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Thanks for that.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Chloe,

Really useful post, will jot them down for my bag!

Thanks,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Thank you Chloe
    It's always good to hear about new techniques (i'll be sure to try it out!) and of course to be reminded that panic attacks can be controlled.
    Great post
    take care
    Marce

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that Chloe.

Karen

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels

Very good post. Thanks,

Ram

Thread Information