Thread: Emetophobia/flying (help?)

Emetophobia/flying (help?)

Okay…

So I'm going to Greece on in just under two weeks, and one of my biggest fears other than vomiting, is flying - most likely because when I was 12, a child decided it would be pleasant to vomit on me before we even took off, now I find even thinking about boarding a plane traumatic, not to mention claustrophobic.

My doctor has given me 20 2mg Diazepam tablets, which have worked for me in the past.

Questions….

1. If I take 3 2mg Diazepam tablets on an empty stomach - will this make me vomit?

and 2. Will all the apprehension and anxiety cause me to vomit? (biggest fear).

Lucie

Re: Emetophobia/flying (help?)

Hi their, I also have a fear of flying. It is so irrational but i just hate it. The funniest part is that if i see land from the plane i feel safe, if i see the sea i think the plane is about to crash. This is how irrational it is. I have never taken diazepam but i am a nurse. It is best to take any tablets with food apart from some meds that work better on an empty stomach such as flucloxacillin. I would have alittle snack with the diazepam if you can stomach it. Diazepam should not make you feel sick or make you vomit but anxiety in general can cause nausea and vomitting but not in all people. It really is a personal thing. I hope you have a great time in Greece, you wont know yourself when you get their xx

Hi,

I also have fear of flying.. because i fear im going to vomit and cant escape!
    I work myself up soooo much beforehand but at the end of the day, you're going on holiday!! and going to have a great time!
    The amount of times iv worked myself up before getting on the plane and even having huge panic attack up in the air... iv still NEVER been sick because of panicking!
    If you've never been sick through panic, then it is doubtful you'll be sick on the plane because of panic..
    Defo take your tablets and try and relax, x

Taking 3 Diazepam with food an hour before your flight will calm you down. You will not see anyone sick on the flght nor will you be sick. Enjoy it all.

p.s. I haven't flown for 28 yrs with the same fear as you, so if you do it, you are a brave lady.

Hi Lucie

Just wanted to let you know that I take the 10mg strength when flying, and it hasn't made me sick (touching wood frantically now!). I have flown to Thailand 4 times, taking a 10mg every 4 hours, without problem (NOT advisable, though - my doc went absolutely mad when I told him how many I took and refused to prescribe any more, talked him round though!). I NEVER take them at any other time.

You should be fine on 3 pills, just try to eat something light - not because of the pills, but because (if you're like me) you'll feel worse IF YOU DO get anxious and you have an empty stomach. I'm sure you won't get anxious, though - not with diazepam.

Have a lovely holiday

Thankyou you wonderful people. I almost convinced myself not to go (which ive done before and have lost money!) thankyou so much…Ill be jumping on that flight this time next week!

Love to all x

Hello there,
    I have both these fears myself and my parents insisted on taking me on holiday with them...on a plane. I had no way at all of avoiding the situation and like you I was given Diazepam to take (About the same dosage as you too). I'm not going to lie to you, my thoughts went into overdrive, BUT once I was up in the air I managed to calm down a fair bit because i knew that there was nothing I could do to get off the plane! Sounds stupid but once I had the options of escaping taken away I felt a lot better, not panic free, but it was manageable!
    Coming home was easier because I remembered that i hadn't felt too bad on the previous journey and even when we hit turbulence i still managed to hold it together.
    I am not a 'mild' sufferer of this phobia either, and I honestly surprised myself by how well I coped. The worst part of the whole thing is the anticipation of getting on the plane and when it's taxiing down the runway. After that it was bearable (just about!)
    Oh gosh I've been rambling away, hope this helps!
    Lu x
    (I was extremely anxious and I was not sick, felt like I might, but I wasn't! And I had to take a little bit of food with the Diazepam.)

Thread Information