Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dosulepin from effexor

dosulepin from effexor

hi all
    new here sorry if this is in the wrong thread

ive jsut been prescirbed 75mg of dosulepin from trying efforxr fro 2 months which didnt work

previously i was on paroxetine for several years which worked fine at first then i must have become immune or something as i was getting anxious and more depressed

so the effexor made me feel sick and tired and now im on dosulepin which i knew nothing about till i got home and it said it was a trcyclic? depressant and is used for insomniacs

well the thing is i dont suffer from insomina the doctor never asked me if i did suffer and now im worried to take it incase i sleep too much-i have around 12 hours a day as it is

my gp is not very good just fobs me off on different pills and doesnt ask my symptoms

should i try it anyway and monitor my side effects?

thanks for the advice

Re: dosulepin from effexor

sorry if the op is a bit muffled i dont feel too good but would like some advice as i dont want to start taking something which could make me ill

i forgot to add the leaflet also said to metion if i get dizzy spells which i do already -the doctor didnt mention it to me when giving me the pills though but its on the notes i assume from previously when i went to the gp about it

can anyone help?

I'll try and help.

Dosulepin used to becalled Dothiepin which I tried many years ago for depression and anxiety. It's an 'old fashioned' kind of treatment being one of the old trycyclics as you've found.

It really is an individual thing as to how it would affect you. It does suit some...

For me it made me into a zombie and made my anxiety worse.

Try it and see what happens. At least yoe can go back and tell him/her it didnt work. It does seem to be quite a favourite of GP's for anxiety but I've not heard of too many people that it actualy helps.

Hopew it helps you.

Bubble

thanks for taking the time bubble appreciate that

im jsut worried coz it says people with dizziness should tell their doctor first before taking it now she knows i have vertigo but didnt mention it when she gave it to me also i dont want to sleep more than i already do

shes really usless and just doesnt listen

i dont rally want to turn into more of a zombie than if eel now

Do you have to taper of something else first? Try one tablet and see how you feel. It will only take a few days to tell if you're going to have any problems and then you can just stop it right away.

Have you tried seeing a different GP in the practice? Why is it so hard for them to be nice and understanding woith these problems. Makes me mad.

Bubble

Gabby, I've just posted on you other thread but wanted to add here that I was not suffering from insomnia when I was prescribed dosulepin - it is also a treatment for anxiety and depression. SSRIs tend to be prescribed ahead of tricyclics these days but the latter can still be useful - I recently spent seven years on one and had a very good run on it, not that I am trying to convince you to take it if you are unhappy about it x

Hi

I have been taking dosulepin for the past 18 years, my current dosage is 150mg, but has been on higher doses in the past, i take this along with citalopram.

I have trouble sleeping both in quantity and quality, and to be honest, dosulepin doesnt really have much of a sedative effect on me at all, although that might be different for others.

the only problems i have really with it are very dry mouth and sweating, and sometimes if i get up too quickly my blood pressure can drop a little, but that passes.

I recently started on the citalopram, and i was very scared to take it, but i have started on a smaller dose and working my way up.

Good luck with whatever you decide

best wishes

P x

Hi I was also on dothiepin for sixteen years at mostly 150mg and sometimes 200mg. In the early stages you might find that it has an extremely sedating effect. It is one of the older tricyclic anti depressants and it has been well tested. You might find that you have a dry mouth and constipation when you first take it. You should not feel dizzy although low blood pressure ie dizzy when standing from lying or sitting is one of the side effects. My psychiatrist was keen to get me off it because I had been taking it for a very long time and also because it is very toxic in overdose.NICE guidelines are to get as many patients as possible off it. I am now taking mirtazapine 45mg and lithium 1,000mg. I hope this is of some help to you. Tried posting yesterday and lost all of it!! EJ.

thankyou for your replies im so sorry i didnt get a notification and havent been on all week i wasnt being rude

i started taking it i do feel drowsy i nearly feel over the other day and my dizziness was bad but today it seems better maybe it jsut takes time

oh btw my doc told me to jsut start taking them when i stop taking the effexor is that right or should i have been weened off it?

i get anxiety just thinking aobut seeing my doctor im also worried about when i ask to someone else they'll ask me why and im not good with saying wot i want to people

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information