Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Testing Time!

A Testing Time!

I wasn't going to post but a friend reminded me how important success stories are so here's mine about today. Need to give a bit of background info as to why I coped so well so bear with me, it may be long!

I am a teacher and have emetophobia (fear of being sick - myself and others). Yesterday we went on a school trip and I was terrified all the way there on the coach. On the way back a little girl (L) sat by me. As we went under a tunnel she reached out for my hand and said 'I don't like tunnels but I'm going to be brave, can I hold your hand?' So we held hands and carried on talking. I said I don't like aeroplanes and I'm going on one soon and she said 'Oh, Miss, don't be scared. You should be brave like me, you will be fine and if not I can come and hold your hand like you held my hand under the tunnel when I was scared'.

So today, the very same child had an awful cough. Now in my mind coughing and being sick are very closely linked so I was on alert all morning. During middle lesson she was coughing badly so I sent her to get a drink but she seemed fine. The children worked at their tables and she was chatting away happily so I didn't think much of it. Then, just as I was getting the class back onto the carpet, I heard the noise and then someone shouted 'L's been sick'. Well obviously mind goes into overdrive and heart starts beating faster, hands and voice start shaking etc.

And then I stopped.

I remembered what she had said to me yesterday on the coach and thought I need to pull myself together, the child is 5 years old and has more sense than I do. I thought sod it, I'm gonna do it, I'm not gonna run away, I will be brave - L style!

So I went over and gave her some clean clothes. The rest of the class went to dinner and I phoned home then she sat with me in the classroom for half an hour, holding a bowl. Normally just the site of someone with a bowl would be enough to make me panic, but not today! While we were sitting in the classroom I actually cleaned it up. By this time my hands had stopped shaking, heart was still pounding and thoughts trying to stop me but L was chatting away which kept me occupied.

So I am in shock! Complete and utter disbelief that I have done it. Have had similar experiences twice now so maybe I'm getting somewhere. It is hard and it's those thoughts that need controlling (just writing about it now I can feel my heart going) but I'm pleased I managed to cope. Hopefully it will get a little easier every time.

So I feel like saying 'if I can do it so can you' but I'm sure you have all heard it a hundred times before! Thanks for listening.

Tammy x

Hiya Tammy, friend lol,
    As I said... A massive well done to you.
    You did so well today, there isnt really much to add, I knew the gloves, masks and aprons I sent you would come in handy one day.
    I know it has been hard for you and you deserve big hugs Tammy,
    well done, well done, well done.!! O and not forgetting L, you will never forget her now, well done to her too.
    [8D][^]

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
    and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

That's a wonderful story, Tammy, and very touching too. To think that a five year old has encourgaed you to beat this.

Perhaps one day when she is old enough to appreciate, you can tell her how important she was in turning your life around.

Oh, and congratulations on such an achievement!

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Tammy

Wow how fab is that !

I am so chuffed for how well you coped with it.

That little girl surely is a big inspiration to you.

x

Nicola

brilliant story

sooooooo pleased for you, kids can teach us so much and bring out the hero in us all

well done you

jackie

Wow well done Tammy! A great success story and one that definitely deserves to be told.

Sometimes children say the wisest things!

Karen x

well done tammy. keep it up you did really well.

bobsy[^]

Tammy, I'm really, really pleased for you.
    You did fantastically well. It goes to show how much we can learn from others, regardless of age.

Keep it up.

All the very best,

Trev x

Hi Tammy

Just want to say [Wow!] WELL DONE.[8D]

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Tammy,

A bit well done to you, you coped brilliantly, be proud of yourself.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information