Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: its going to thunder tonight and im so scared

Unhappy its going to thunder tonight and im so scared

hi sorry for going on, but its due to thunder late tonight and tomorrow morning and already i am shaking, feel sick and panicky. Trying to keep calm for the kids but pretty close to tears. im desperate to know if there is any free on-line coping strategies available? id listen to music but its all on my pc which will be off during the storm. Im scared my panicking will lead to me passing out and i am a single mum of 5 kids (one is a baby) so keeping calm is of utmost importance. So so scared :(

Re: its going to thunder tonight and im so scared

Hi I am so sorry for you. I spent the weekend Saturday and Sunday in totall fear with the lightening we had.

I sew on all the weather forecasts on Tuesday that my area was going to get thunder storms on and off for about 6 hours I got myself in a bad state and in the end nothing happened apart from a little rain.so maybe you will not get it after all.

How have you coped in the past?

ive either sat on the stairs with hands over ears shaking and pacing the house or on edge of sofa doing the same. I have to battle the urge not to get kids all downstairs as im worried if we get struck i wont be able to reach them. ive asked to have counselling but i dont drive and they keep referring me to a counsellor miles away at 9am when im walking my children to school. If i could afford it id go private. Id do anything to get rid of this fear.

when i was little my nan would make us sit in a small cupboard with her when it stormed and she would rock with her hands over her ears..my aunt is also petrified..has more than once taken too many valium with alcohol during a storm and collapsed on occasion. This is almost taking over my life and ive already passed my fear on to my eldest.

sorry for continuing whine..really appreciate you listening xx

Sounds like you learnt it from your nan. I admire you for not getting your kids out of bed. You should feel good that youre trying to break this inherited phobia.
    What in particular scares you about the thunder?
    If I were you I would buy an MP3 player and use that instead of the pc for trying to listen to music.

I have this phobia too, I'm terrified of me and my house being struck by lightning. I sit at the bottom of the stairs with my mp3 player on during a storm. I don't have any solutions in how to overcome it unfortunately but I don't think checking the weather forecasts help because so often they forecast storms which never happen, and all it does is worry us over something which may not happen. It's probably best just to deal with it if and when it happens. (I know this is the pot calling the kettle black because I'm always checking the forecasts, but I've decided to try and take my own advice!)

yeah buy an mp3 player this will help. also try to do what u would be doing even if there was no storm. put on ure mp3 player play with the kids or so to take your mind of it it . i usally do some mixing for cleaning or even some puzzle books to take your mind of it and concentrate on something else have a couple of vodkas and try and relax it will be over soon..

if theres anyone down south in the midlands area (which im not) how are you guys feeling after seeing the forcast for thursday heavy showers and 25 degree heat are predicted which is not good are you guys ok.

My son has said we could get this here in Cambridge as well now I am worried sick.
    Things are not going too well for me at the moment and this is the last thing I need.

He did say it most probably not be much and he said he will recheck the radar and maps later in the day.

has anyone been signed of work cuz of this phobia?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information