Thread: Going to Glasto only 2 weeks into Cit - advice please.

Going to Glasto only 2 weeks into Cit - advice please.

Hi Guys,
    I started taking citalopram on Wednesday because of increased anxiety related to some major life stressors and 3 cancers my parents have had in the previous 6 years.
    Started 10mg, reduced to 5 and back up to 10 cos hate the side effects.
    My concern is, with my family we're going to the Glastonbury festival in under 2 weeks time, my 40th birthday present to myself! But if I feel like this I'm not going to enjoy as much, get even less sleep and also part of the experience is enjoying a few drinks, can anyone advice me so i can feel confident about going, been looking forward to it for absolute months.
    I don't even feel as excited now :(

Re: Going to Glasto only 2 weeks into Cit - advice please.

Hey Happy camper,

Sorry to hear the things you have been through!! How are you getting on with the 10mg now?? Did it help dropping back to 5mg??

2 weeks is quite a long time and I'm sure by then you will be feeling more positive.

I totally relate to how you are feeling...anxiety creeps in and makes you feel as you do. I have been like this in the past...had something booked like a holiday or something and you feel excited but as soon as it starts to approach you start to feel less excited and a bit anxious about it...its perfectly normal to feel this way.

I think in 2 weeks time the meds will have started to help and even if you do feel a bit anxious about it once you get there you will be absolutely fine!!!

Citalopram can cause sleep disturbances etc and make you feel like you dont want to go out etc...its the increased anxiety at the start of taking it, but this will pass and you will feel more confident again!!

I hope that you feel better soon and can look forward again..but you will enjoy it once you get there...you'll see!!!

Take care.
    JO.xx

Hi Happycamper,
    As Jo says, 2 weeks mean the difference between feeling like you want the earth to swallow you up and being pretty much back to normal, or close to it. Try not to mess with your dosage too much as this can drag things out and upset your system so the Cit doesn't quite get to do it's job. I've just finished my 4th week of Cit today, starting my second prescription tomorrow and glad I have it, even though it felt difficult getting through the first week to feel better.

As far as the alcohol is concerned I'd say probably stay off it as much as you can, especially in the first few weeks, it can upset the progress of the meds and make you feel anxious again for a day or two afterwards, but then you might be able to have the odd beer as some people don't feel the effects that much if they're careful.

Let's see how you feel as the week progresses, you might start to pick up and feel more positive about the whole thing. Keep us posted camper.

Better days.

Thanks Jo,
    I've always needed something to look forward to and this has been one of the best ones!
    The last few weeks/months though I've had terrible anxiety that something will happen stopping us going, serious illness being a biggy, still can't get my head around the fact I could be there enjoying in 2 weeks time with my husband and 2 young boys. Guess that's all part of the anxiety thing that makes you think something bad has to happen all the time...?
    The drop to 5mg for a day helped a lot, I'd been really struggling the day before (Fri) with a terrible fuzzy head, bad nights sleep and jittery. Took 10mg again last night and so so today, geting by shall we say. Working on Tues which I'm worried how I'll get on with after a good few days off, have not had any time off with the anxiety and don't intend to.
    Clare X

Thanks too, Raindog!

I'm perfectly willing to help. Send me your tickets and I'll look after them for you. I'm about the same age :-)

Otherwise, I'd say keep off the drink (and other substances) and make best use of Cit's inevitable sedative effect to get some sleep if you take it in the evening.

Enjoy all the same, just a shame U2 can't make it.
    Made for justice, we clamour for vengeance.
    Made for relationship, we insist on our own way.
    Made for beauty, we are satisfied with sentiment.
    But new creation has already begun.
    The sun has begun to rise.

Tom Wright, The Bishop of Durham
    from Simply Christian

Hello, this is my first ever post! I wanted to let you know that if you are going to Glastonbury, you will be in the best possible place. I have been on Citalopram (20-40mg) since i was 19 and i am now 30. I have been to Glastonbury countless times in between and always feel better there. I don't know if you have ever been, but if you have not i would recomend staying away from the 'commercial' areas (stages etc) and making your way up to the Green Fields where there is a 'healing field'. It's the best place to go if you are feeling bad as there are always lovely, welcoming people there who will look after you. There are places designed for you to relax in (stretches of grass etc) and i always find that everyone is helpful and friendly in the Green Fields. I don't know if this will help but i thought i'd let you know. I wish i was coming this year too but can't afford it this time round.
    Don't worry about the side effects. they will go away before you know it. Have a beautiful time and sit at the very top of the stone circle to watch the fireworks! Good luck x

Cheers Stig,
    No. 1st time, 40th birthday pressie to myself! Been looking on Glasto forums for tips etc.
    You've been on citalopram for a while, it obviously works for you? I'm just struggling with feeling knackered and headachy at the moment, just hope it wears off a bit before next Weds cos been looking forward to this for absolute months.
    This time next week I'll be there!!!!
    You in Wales too?
    XXX

Thread Information