Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from down under ?? on driving and smoking

Howdy from down under ?? on driving and smoking

Howdy all

Just thought i would do a intro and ask a few quick questions .

I had or still have anxiety , still trying to work that out .

Brought on by stressfull life and then increased to nightmare stage from drugs i was placed on .

Anxiety is mostly under control , live pretty much normal these days after alot of research and work . Still have a few symptoms but nothing bad .

But i do have quick questions .

Anyone have trouble long distances . I am fine around town but find when longer i start remembering all the c&*p i have had to go though in last 18 months and this changes my mood and makes me upset .

Second Smoking . Are there any smokers that have quit smoking and it has helped with there anxiety . I am a very heavy smoker and believe this is playing a big part in my anxiety .

While i am on the go . Memory plays a huge part in anxiety i believe . Anyone have any tips on letting go on things ??

cheers kev

Re: Howdy from down under ?? on driving and smoking

Kev, It is understood that any stimulent can trigger or add to axiety. If you are not aonly a smoker but a heavy smoker as you described I would bet that it adds to your anxiety. If you are smoking pot as I used to it definately adds to your anxiety.

Digging up old crap in your head is a definate problem for all of us, which is an anxiety trigger. I have not mastered yet on how to change this. They say you need to let this shit go and move on. If you continue to rethink the past you can try to figure out specific pleasure thoughts and bring them on immediately when the bad ones come a long. Use these same pleasure thoughts over and over.

Good luck and welcome. You should hae lot's of support and ideas on this site.

Ron

Thanks Ron

No dope but smoking has increased to 60 day over last 18 months . I am almost 99% sure that it is causing alot of my anxiety that is left now . If its not the smoking then the fact it pees me off i cant quit does it .

I think i know the next step just need to work out how to take it .

They say you need to let this shit go and move on

Yes but bloody harder than said hey. I think my problem is that the doctors and their treatment caused most of it and i still have to deal with them which sucks i tell you . I have a better doctor now but he is leaving soon .

cheers kev

Howdy Kev.......I am a smoker,about 20 a day,sometimes more if I am stressed,I have tried to give them up,but to no avail.I"m55 and the damage was done years ago.I'm in Queensland and pleased to meet you,hope you find this helpfull
    Rhonda

Good day fellow aussie

Gees us aussies get around dont we.

I will get there , i just need to work out how to get around that little voice telling me if i stop it will stress me out .

I figure if i got past stopping panic attacks then i can do this .

cheers kev mid NSW and Cold

Hi again Kev....I just got back from Coffs Harbour and Sydney and yes it was bloody cold I am not used to such cold weather,coming from Mackay.Do you see anyone for your panic attacks,and anxieties.I have a wonderfull Psychologist and Psych....they have helped me greatly,Try to do Cognative Therapy,it will help you too.There are quite a few Aussies on this site,and they are all nice people.
    Rhonda

Hi Rhonda

Yes we had one day last week i thought i would snap from being to cold .

I talk to a mental health worker about things but i think i tell her more than she tells me .

I dont have any panics now , havent had one for a long time , so they are gone . My anxiety is pretty good and almost normal most days . I have it build sometimes but stop it pretty fast now .

I am having trouble with driving long distances which sort of feeds the other because i need to drive for work . The driving doesnt worry me its the thinking about past things while i drive. As you would know how excieting some of our drives in oz can be . I think depression may be underlying this problem .

I got past the worst were i would freak just looking at a car but this is alot harder because its not something i do every day .

So what your story , How is your panics and anxiety ? How long you had them ?

I went to and worked with a site in Canada which taught me how to handle anxiety and how it all works. If it wasnt for that site i would still be in a bad way.

cheers kev

Hi Kev......I had my first panic attack quite a few years ago now,and went undiagnosed for years.I finally found a doctor who told me what it was,after many trips to the hospital thinking I was dying or having a stroke,he put me on a tablet called Lexotan,which has stopped the panic and almost the anxiety.With the help of CBT and Visualisation and Breathing exercises I can manage it,but I still have days when I feel crap.I know what you mean about driving,where I live it is a fair distance to the nearest city which is Mackay.I notice my mind wonders while I drive to so I just blast the cd player and try to sing along.Have you heard of Bev Aisbett books on Living with IT,they are really good.She is a journo,who suffered from Panic and Anxiety.Also read Bill's posts on here they are very good.
    Rhonda

Kev .....go to Aussie Connection Post and you can also talk with Phill2
    Rhonda x

Ohhh fellow Aussies...

I'm in Melbourne where it's bloody cold at the moment too.

My panic attacks started in my mid teens...and they have come and gone ever since.
    Sometimes it manageable other times I cannot bare it and just want to crawl up in a ball and die. =(
    You want to believe it, you know that it's true
    Your life is a canvas...the colours are you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information