Thread: Terrible shoulder / neck pain

Terrible shoulder / neck pain

Hi all,

The symptom that gets me down the most at the moment is this really awful pain in my neck and shoulders. I am constantly aware of it. Its in both my shoulders but worse on the right - in my trapezius muscle I feel like someone is twisting a knife in the muscle. My neck and shoulders are so tight that my movement is really restricted, I can no longer look over my shoulder...

Does anyone else get this? Any advice?

Thanks,
    Gareth

Re: Terrible shoulder / neck pain

Hi Gareth,
    This sounds like it's mostly likely your anxiety making your shoulders and neck feel so painful, your body has higher levels of adrenaline running round it, which isn't good for your muscles in the long run. Plus when we feel anxious we tend to sit with our shoulders tensed or hunched.

While I was having high anxiety my shoulders ached and I know I'm not the only person on here that has had the same muscle pain, perhaps not as acute as yours sounds but still very uncomfortable. Hopefully it will ease off and let you move a bit more, but try to be more conscious of your shoulders when you sit, I just had to unhunch mine while writing this, it's very easy to get into that habit after being anxious for a while, and you don't realise you're doing it until you catch yourself and correct it.

Better days Gareth
    Shaun

Yes , I have had this to , so much so i ended up with a frozen shoulder . Go to your doc and see if you can get physiotherapy and you can get painkillers to ease it while you get the movement back . Isnt it amazing the amount of tension we hold with anxiety ?
    I wish you well
    Paige x

Sorry to bounce an older post, but I am in a real state over shoulder probs. My back muscles are tight, but my shoulder on the right is really sore...I have had probs for a year. It currently feels like it is clenched in towards my body if that makes sense.

My mum has parkinsons and this causes such muscle probs, so hence my health anxiety is flaring after a really good spell.

Does anyone else have shoulder probs like in this thread, and what helps...I see an osteo every month but it is really bad and I only saw him on Saturday...

I am in the same boat too.. I have had bad shoulders and neck for a week ..

movement can be hard too..

gotta be tension and anxiety making me believe terrible things ...

light exercise mate..will relax the muscles and lots of water

thank you.... I know it is a CLASSIC anxiety symptom, but I just always have to think the worst...ho hum

Thread Information