Thread: EXTREME cancer phobia. Advice please? :(

Unhappy EXTREME cancer phobia. Advice please? :(

Hi,
    Well to start off I'm 16 years old and suffer from an extremley severe cancer phobia. It all started 2 years ago when my dad died of a malginant brain tumor since then I've diagnoised myself with all types of cancer, any type of ache or pain i'll assume I'll have cancer. More recently I found a lump under my skin on my face my mum who's a professional trained nurse has checked it out and assured me its nothing, I even went to the doctor to get everything checked out and my doctor even assured me there was nothing cancerous going on in my body.
    I have no idea what to do I have a really good life I'm in a long term loving relationship, really good friends and a lovely family too and it seems the only thing stopping me from enjoying all this is my cancer phobia don't get me wrong I do love my life I love every minute,but when I'm alone all I can think of is cancer. I'm on anti-depressants too and they just don't seem to be helping all I can think about is getting cancer, is there anything anyone can suggest? I've tried counselling and i've seen a psychatrist too and that doesn't seem to help.
    Can anyone suggest something to help me overcome this phobia?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    x

Re: EXTREME cancer phobia. Advice please? :(

im exactly the same hun, everyday i wake up worrying about cancer, it totally rules my life as its always looming at the back of my mind even when im having fun your soo not on your own..i wish it would go away so much, ive just posted myself worrying ive got throat/n eck cancer!! but know in my heart its trapped wind!! xxxx

Hi littlehorii, sorry to hear your feeling like this. I to used to have a huge fear of cancer, it was sparked by a family members death. I to tried everything from counselling to meds to help me relax, not alot helped. All i can say is in time the fear becomes less, it went away for me altogether. Now i only get an occasional worry about it. Im sorry i cant give you advice on a quick fix, i don't think there is such a thing. Just take it one step at a time, in time yours will most likely fade away to. Good luck with it. x
    turned back upon the past?

Thank you PixieL
    My doctor said the same thing as I get older my fear won't affect me as much.
    Sorry to hear you had a cancer phobia too triggered by a family members death :( But I guess its reassuring I'm not the only one to suffer with it, I've always been too scared to tell anyone because I always thought it was a strange phobia to have.
    But thank you again your words mean a lot

also thank you Bexy for responding too like I said in my previous post its extremley reassuring to know i'm not the only one with this.
    But i've experienced that too though in all honesty I've diagnoised with every form of cancer there is from brain cancer whenever I get headaches,lymphoma when I got freaked out about the lump I found,throat cancer from sore throats etc.
    I'm so sick of this phobia taking over my entire life :(

I've been looking around the boards and it seems more people have this phobia than I thought. Wow, I always thought I was weird for having this phobia but I feel a bit better knowing its more common than I thought.
    Thanks to those who have responded so far

You're certainly not alone. I've had this phobia since I was 24 and had a testicular lump. Since then it's become progressively worse (the phobia, not the lump) and in the past two weeks alone I've lost several days to worrying about various potentially cancer-linked things. First there was mouth cancer, nope just a sore from biting my tongue. Then there was bowel cancer, nope just a rectal fissure, nice. Then yesterday I got a static zap from my car which I've now convinced myself is slowly giving me some form of cancer from static discharge, but apparently this happens to many people so I'm currently trying to get that one in proportion. I've had medication, counselling, hypnotherapy none of which helped permanently and I'm currently in the middle of CBT which isn't having any effect yet, but we all react differently so don't be afraid to try any of them, they might work for you. At your age maybe it is best just to try and wait it out and come on here for the occasional rant if you feel like it. I know I do...

Thanks Mudskipper sorry to hear your phobia's bad too :( But I know what you mean sometimes I don't even like using my mobile phone in case I get a brain tumor or something.
    I've been a lot more calm about my phobia these past couple of days or so though so I'm hoping its going to get better. I just kind of thought if I did have cancer i'd know by now if it was anything (I've had loads of blood tests past 2 years so I'm assuming it would of come back if there was something not quite right and at the moment by cancer phobia is focused on lymphoma so I'm pretty sure it would've come back if something abnormal was going on if I had it).
    I'm really hoping my positive thinking is a step forward though, I'll be really sad if its not and I end up being scared about it again :(

hi hun,i understand where ur coming from,i'm 21 and i lost my mom about 7 months ago to lung cancer,it was a short battle and a shock when she was diagnosed for that reason i'm now petrified of doctors telling me that i'm dying of cancer and like you i keep diagnosing myself with cancer for every small pain or complaint.It's hard when a parent dies because u think that they'll always be there and then all of a sudden there is something stronger than them,u make the connection that it could happen to anyone at anytime and we can't do anything about it.what i would suggest is speaking to someone about it and that might help u work threw it.After all i'm not gonna let a fear get to me i will beat the fear and when i do i know i'll look back and think i've got threw it well done me cos ur the only one who can beat it.
    I hope my message helps.

I have no family history of cancer i know only one person who has died due to this awful diseise which was my husbands grandad. But it absoultly terrifies me im only 24 and have diagnosed myself with numerous brain tumors, cervical, ovarian, breast cancers. Every little thing i think its cancer. Its the only thing i can think of if im ill or have a bad headache. Im doing better though CBT has helped and i think this site has helped. There is a light at the end of the tunnel just a damned hard struggle to get there, Which you will do take care hun xxx

Thread Information