Thread: Does my head have too much serotonin now?!?

Does my head have too much serotonin now?!?

Hi all,

I ought to be thankful that I am not feeling depressed any more (4.5 weeks on cit, 1 week 5mg, 1 week 10mg, two and a bit on 20mg), but over the last couple of days I seem to have been going too far in the opposite direction, if that is possible!

I am not feeling depressed, sad or anxious at all. What I am feeling is restless, unable to sit still for long, unable to concentrate for long (not in the way I feel when I am depressed, more that my brain just wants to keep switching focus all the time). I'm also having racing thoughts, but they are not negative ones. It's not exactly ideal though. I feel like I'm getting carried away with ideas and things I could do, but instead of being sensible, I'm a bit manic, thinking I could do this and this and this and this and it's all a bit silly. I feel far more bolshy and determined than I was. That's no bad thing as I am usually lacking in confidence and self-esteem, but it all seems a bit erratic and fake.

I can relate to this being similar to the way I think when I am 'normal', but it seems to be magnified a bit. I'm not bipolar. I most definitely fit into the category of major depression not manic, but I'd like to feel a bit calmer! Has anybody else experienced a similar effect with citalopram?
    Last edited by Oddfish; 15-06-10 at 11:00.

Re: Does my head have too much serotonin now?!?

Hi trickyvee,
    I've just started my 5th week of Cit and feeling a bit of a down dip this week, maybe triggered by the rain and clouds over the weekend, I don't know. I know from what I've been told that Cit takes longer to deal with the anxiety than it does the depression so perhaps you're still feeling the lingering bits of anxiety under the surface, the general mental anxiety has gone but it's still lurking underneath making you a bit jittery, I feel it a little bit still, especially the past few days. It's not strong and hasn't been there when I wake up but I've felt a bit agitated sometimes and a bit edgey so it hasn't gone completely yet.

I was wondering for a long time if I'm bipolar so I asked the doc for a referral to get a diagnosis and make sure so I at least know, but I get the feeling mine is general depression. If you're sure you aren't bipolar then it's possibly just a phase of your body adapting to the Cit and the anxiety having some lingering effects on you while that happens. I find a cup of camomile tea helps me when I'm feeling a bit jittery like this.

This is an odd morning, I woke up nipping my own lip with my teeth now everybody keeps dropping out of the chat room. Oh well, strange days

Better days trickyvee, keep going

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your reply. You are right. It's probably all part of adjusting to the medication. Really it is still early days, although it feels as if I've been taking it for a lot longer than 4 weeks because I've felt so horrible!

I was reading up on depression the other day and it said that often those with depression, as well as being susceptable to lows, actually need less stimulation than those who do not get depression to have highs. This is certainly true for me. I don't ever get manic, but I do seem to become more excited and happy over certain things than other people do.

I once had a friend who was very level headed - always calm and collected, very able to cope with stress and I used to be very envious of her as I would always end up a complete wreck over the slightest thing, but although she was rarely very sad or upset, she was also rarely very happy as far as I could tell. One time I had a laughing fit over something or other when I was with her.I really couldn't stop and tears were rolling down my face, but she just looked at me like I'd beamed down from another planet! I knew she had never ever laughed like that in her life. She never used to find many things funny. On on occasion I remember her saying "I'm not sure I've got a sense of humour". For all I'd love to be free from anxiety and depression, I wouldn't like to be like her!

I find similar things, when I'm feeling levelled out I can find stuff incredibly funny at times and get enjoyment from the simplest things. I've had times in my life when I've particularly good about myself, which have made me wonder if they were minor manic episodes. That's why I want to be certain if I'm actually bipolar or not, although I'm thinking I'm probably not after talking to some people on NMP.

I find a drop of camomile tea or a banana with a walk round the block usually helps calm the jitters, it's a nice day so going to go for a wander and spend some time out of the house.

Shaun

Is it worth dropping to 15mg? See if that helps?

I would carry on with the same dose for the time being .
    I had a spate where I just felt like bursting into song or I wanted to shout something. anything! It was funny when I told people and when I posted it on here but it felt like you wanted to explode or something This is my experience mind. . it lasted for a couple of days and then I calmed down. I would say its your levels getting sorted out. try not to worry, But by all means post any questions or symptoms on here as we all like to help
    Jean
    Last edited by jaded jean; 15-06-10 at 14:12. Reason: typo

Obviously what your doctor says should go and they hopefully should know your situation better than me :-) However mine said I could modify the dose slightly (by no more than 5mg per week) as my body adjusts and as I feel comfortable hence my suggestion. I went from 5 to 10 to 15 back to 10 and back up to 15 now. So I know it has helped me but may be not help you.

I think I am going to stick with the dose for now. I'm very happy to have reached the point where I'm not depressed and I don't want to tempt fate. I'd rather be like this than the way I was a couple of weeks ago!

I do remember at least one day of feeling over-happy the last time I took citalopram. It caused much singing along to ABBA at full volume on the way to work and involuntary smiling. I did feel a bit crazy that day. I got some funny looks

Hi

I also get some days when i feel i must have had some fun pills as my mood feels too great to be true but i am greatful for those, better than feeling constantly miserable.
    Wish the Citalopram worked as good for my anxiety like it does for my mood swings.

Your moods and the hyper will settle in a while .Its quite normal ..I was the same for a while .Still am sometimes .Wish I was like it all the time .But you cant have it all eh? You prob feel so much better because you felt so bad as well ,The dose isnt that high so Id stick with it for now ..T/c Sue x

Thread Information