Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Psychiatrist vs GP

Psychiatrist vs GP

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone has ever seen a Psychiatrist, I think I'd like to see one as I've been fighting anxiety (and the depression) it causes for around 4 years now and don't feel the GP's are particularly good.

Can you ask to be referred from a GP?

Also how much is a session with a private Psychiatrist and if they prescribe can you still get the medication through the NHS?

Jeb.

Re: Psychiatrist vs GP

Hi.

You should be able to get a refferal from your GP if you ask for one, just say you feel it will help you and its what you want, I dont see why they should disagree with that.

If you go private expect to pay £150+ I would say probably, a heck of a lot but worth it in the long run if you feel that it will help you.

Hi Jebdog you should be able to get a referral to an NHS psychiatrist but it might be a long wait. I see my psychiatrist privately and he charges £160 for a half an hour. He will write a private prescription which you can pay for or he usually writes to my GP and she writes an NHS one. My husband has private health insurance or the fees can escalate if you are referred for any sort of therapy. Usually people have health insurance and only self pay if they can afford it. This is within the Priory Group and he is a consultant. Initial assessments are more and usually last an hour.

Cost, I defer to others there in the UK, as I am in the USA.
    I see a psych. now for 10 months, but is not much into therapy. Medication I trust her more than a gp. Wish I could find another person for the counseling that understands anxiety.

£160 per half hour?

that is an outrage, i was paying around £70 for an hour.

Are you sure yours isn't a plumber for the other half hour?

i got referred by my GP and was on a waiting list for a bit, i then ended up having weekly appointments for a year, and for me that was almost like blowing a thick layer of dust from a very important instruction manual

i believe i am only just reading the actual manual itself now after 5 years

BTW

the journey is well worth it !

I started with weekly appts. for 3 months then went to about monthly. There was nothing to talk about every week. I'm just a homemaker. Had a couple books, little bit helpful.
    Here in the USA session run maybe $80-$200. of course depending on where you go.
    Insurance is always a factor as I sure don't have that much to pay myself.

I have been referred to a psychiatirist by my GP and have my first appointment next Wednesday. I will comment in time but I believe my GP wants him to help get the meds right.

Hi Debdog

After being diagnosed by my GP I was referred to the mental health team & was advised it I would have 6mths wait for a psychiatrist & 12mths for therapy. My GP advised me not to wait so I found a psychologist who I have been seeing weekly for 16mths @ £100 an hour. She has only suggested I see a psychiatrist when I had problems with my meds, as I understand it this is their role, diagnosis & medication.

The gp I saw cleared me on his end, and deferred to the psych. for proper meds. if needed. Seems a reasonable gp knows the psych. have a knowledge in that area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information