Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: depersonalization

Re: depersonalization

Quote Originally Posted by steveo1980 View Post
    have you tried anything else? hypnosis/CBT.

they may help?
    Have tried relaxation techniques like breathing exercises but didn't gain much benefit from them. GP would not refer me to a councellor as at the time there was a huge waiting list for a National Health one and the doctors surgery doesn't have a councillor. Private councilling was quite expensive. Will mention to GP the possibility of referral again when I go.

Private counselling is quite expensive but even if you can afford one session maybe it will help. I had hypnotherapy and who knows if it has worked to be honest. Have good days and bad days but it's all worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by keta View Post
    Oh dear I feel for you. Let us know tomorrow what your GP said.
    Felt awful this morning, didn't get any sleep thru worrying. Managed to get to see my GP. Went in there shaking like a leaf and the depersonalization was bad. Went through how I was feeling and that I think I have a reaction to the Cit.

What she said is that she doesn't think it's a reaction and that she thought it was helping even though I was repeatedly saying my anxiety has gone up recently. She told me to keep on the Citalopram and that the dose may be too low and raised it from 20mg to 30mg!

I feel even worse now cos now worried about the added dose will mean more side effects and my anxiety will go up further and the extra dose have no effect. Sat staring at the packet hesitating if to take the extra 10mg.

Feel I'm going downhill as the days go on. Don't know where to turn now. Feel the GP hasn't helped. Want some hope that I will get better but all I can think of is getting worse.
    Last edited by StressedEric; 18-06-10 at 11:03.

What sort of usual effects am I likely to have if I decide to take the extra 10mg and go from 20-30mg of Cit.? I am still terrified that I won't be able to cope if I get any worse. Feeling awful as it is. The GP doesn't seem to think there will be any bad effects but I'm sure I read in posts somewhere on NMP that they can be as bad as the initial ones?

Just trying my best to get some positive thoughts and reasurance so I can try and ease my worries. The light at the end of the tunnel looks so far away at the moment...

Hi Eric

That's rubbish isn't it what your GP has done or ot done really, i'm really surprised she even increased your dose, i think if you decide to take the extra 10mg you may get some side effects back before your body adjusts again, but I still don't get why would she not consider different tablets if you have been onn Citalopram for a while with no improvements ad actualy getting worse

Hi Eric ..sorry you are feeling bad after all this time .I would advise you to up your dose by 5mg to start with and see how you are in a couple of weeks ,I did this a few times when my dose was increased and it lessens the side effects .Increase again only when you feel more stable .If you are taking 10mg tabs its easy to bite one in half ,or you can buy pill cutters from the chemist for just over a pound .All the best and I hope your anx settles down soon ,sue xx

Hi Eric

That's rubbish isn't it what your GP has done or ot done really, i'm really surprised she even increased your dose, i think if you decide to take the extra 10mg you may get some side effects back before your body adjusts again, but I still don't get why would she not consider different tablets if you have been onn Citalopram for a while with no improvements ad actualy getting worse
    I share your feelings Keta. I was expecting her to say, Ok lets get you off Cit. and we'll try something else. I told her that I didn't feel any real benefit from taking the Cit. and should be improving at least level not feeling worse. She said Cit. was for anxiety and would like to stay with ir rather than try something else. Other meds were not even offered!

My brother is on diferent meds and was angry with how I have been treated. He had a battle with many GPs to get what he wanted and thankfully is a lot better now since the right meds were found for him.

Trying at the moment to calm myself down as feeling very shaky. Not sure what to do yet (1) reducing dose against GPs wishes or (2) just try the extra dose to see if this makes a difference.

Could you see other GP for a second opinion at all??

There is another drug used just for anxiety called BUSPIRONE or Buspar but i think it's just for short term use but i don't know much about it, i know few people mention it on here. I still can't belive your GP just left you to it.

There is another drug used just for anxiety called BUSPIRONE or Buspar but i think it's just for short term use but i don't know much about it, i know few people mention it on here. I still can't belive your GP just left you to it.
    Thank you loads Keta for your kind support and advice through this difficult time. I had an emergency appointment today so no guarantee which doctor will be available - I just happened to have my "regular" doctor today by chance. I can't get a normal appointment with another doctor for about 2 weeks.

This is the first time I've heard about Buspirone and know nothing about it and the effects so would have to do my research.

One part of me is thinking now mayb the Cit wasn't strong enough and it is the illness which is the issue and that I should at least try 25mg to see if this helps (as this is easier than coming off it). The other part is saying NO WAY. This decision is doing no help to my anxiety.

I'm edging towards trying the 25mg, just so tired (as not sleeping) and the anxiety makes it hard for me to think at the moment. The GP did give me a short course of the sedative Levomepromazine 25mg to take at night to help me sleep but worried how this will effect me.

Thinking about CBT as well but will have to go private conselling for this. I am trying to reassure myself that I will get better but it is very hard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information