Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iGuard.org.uk - check medications and interactions

iGuard.org.uk - check medications and interactions

Found this site today that allows you to enter all the medications that you are taking and it will identify any possible interactions and contradictions for you.

I know we get quite a few posts on here asking if this drug is ok to take with that one etc so I thought this site might be useful for that.

You can search for any drug and it will tell you whether that drug would be suitable for you given the current medication that you are on.

I have registered and it looks ok.

The blurb on there says this:

We are changing the way that doctors, pharmacists, researchers and patients like you communicate about drug safety. We help you stay informed about your medications and help researchers access valuable feedback that can help improve how medications are used.

Launched in 2007 as a startup venture funded by Quintiles Transnational, "iGuard puts the power of improving medicines in your own hands," states Dr. Hugo Stephenson, founder and president of iGuard.org.uk.

We are bringing together patients, doctors, and researchers committed to improving the use of medications through better communication and want you to be part of it.

Please note this disclaimer of course:

DISCLAIMER: iGuard is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. iGuard cannot and does not take into consideration every possible interaction or account for individual responses to medicine. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Always seek the advice of a qualified health provider with any questions you may have before making any changes to your treatment. The use of the iGuard site and its content is at your own risk. The iGuard site and the information contained in it is intended for users in the United Kingdom and information in other countries may be different.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: iGuard.org.uk - check medications and interactions

i think this site is not worth going on as it has made me very anixous now,,, its like google and we all know not to google, not good and has got people worked up,

diaizpam 5mg, as needed.

come on panic attack do your worse,, you can knock me down,, BUT I WILL GET BACK UP AGAIN.

After just seeing the reaction in the chatroom I agree with bomber. The site very much emphasis' the problems involved with taking the meds, contr-indications, side effects, etc. The vast majority of the comments are also very negative.

I can see this site reinforcing the negative views about medication and increasing peoples anxiety.

I know it has a disclaimer but two of my meds showed up red and set alarm bells ringing, then I started to worry about pain killers on top of my meds too. I think it could be a good site for some but not for others like me, but freedom of choice to look I guess.

we need to know what we take dont we cant have our heads in the sand
    sites worth a try

I ask my mum or chemist, If i feel sumits up i just call chemist (during the day), or ask my mum as she checks for me. and my mum only gives me the facts i wana know, not everthing that can make me anxious. Isnt Chemits and NHS24 around for this instead of a website?

Well I thought it was good as it explained to me about my medications and the interactions with other medication I was on.

I didn't post it to upset people, I did think it was a good site.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It is Nic hun. Recovered now and it is useful thank you.

yhis site was really helpfull expaining the meds i was on and the interacyhion with other meds that it actually baught to my attion that 3 of my meds shouldnt be being mixed and m making an app at my docs to talk over wiht him if it wernt for nic posting the site i would never have known thanks nic xx

I'm not really criticising the site, I just feel that people should not read to much into some of the side effects and contr-indications. I just worry that people will change or stop taking their medication by themselves without consulting the G.P or pharmacist WHICH THEY ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT DO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information