Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Support group - Chester - 15th August 2010

Support group - Chester - 15th August 2010

I saw someone on here is trying to set up a support group for their area, and was thinking about having one in Chester. It could be a regular thing and could consist of meetings where people can discuss their problems, but then times where we could all go out together and have fun. I also thought it might be useful for people who don't have many friends, or for those who can't travel far or even get out of the house. I personally wouldn't mind supporting people in the local area, whether it be helping an agoraphobic to go to a shop or that little bit further than usual, or visiting someone who doesn't have any support. I'm lucky in the sense that I have a great family and friends around me, but I know not everyone is so fortunate. I find that having people around, ready to answer a phone should I need them, is a great help in me trying to beat my anxiety, and I'd happily fo the same for others. It's great to have people to help, especially those who can truly understand as they've been in a similar situation themselves.

Re: Support group - Chester

aww thats so sweet and sounds like a good idea. I think that when you have anxiety you always need someone to talk to who understands, I know thats why I come on this site! I know chester very well, I am a bit further away now though and I cant really travel distances at the moment due to being agoraphobic. Maybe when I am a bit better which will hopefully be soon I will be able to attend! Good luck I hope you get a good few people who want to meet up x

Thats a really good idea, its me thats setting one up in my area. my support group starts next month, the local radio are going to have me on one of their shows to tlk about it. I think its really fab idea that ur gna set one up too!! Good luck! xx

Daydreamer - how far away are you? Hope you could come to meet us one day when you're ready I don't know what your next steps are at the mo, but when you're up to travelling further, maybe that could be one of your aims? At least you'd have people who understand waiting for you, and on the end of a phone!

Gladyscourt - I'll have to ask you for tips and hints! Have you managed to get many people interested? I only posted this yesterday and no luck so far, but fingers crossed! That's amazing that you're going on the radio, well done! Keep me up to date with your success, and hopefully I'll have some luck with mine too! xxx

It is the awesome thing to support someone like a group of the Chester and it could be a rather good thing to discuss various problems and their solutions of the peoples. Many of them may get a help if there is a support of a strong group who is ready to solve the queries. It is unfortunate to see some peoples the disorganised way. So a support may become their strength and dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by lkenny View Post
    Gladyscourt - I'll have to ask you for tips and hints! Have you managed to get many people interested? I only posted this yesterday and no luck so far, but fingers crossed! That's amazing that you're going on the radio, well done! Keep me up to date with your success, and hopefully I'll have some luck with mine too! xxx
    Yeh of course! anything u need ill be glad to help u. we could share tips and such along the way if u like. Ive had a few ppl interested and hopefully the radio will help! All i did was email the local station telling them about what i am doing and if they would be interested in talking about it at all. And they said yes, so definatly try that if your serious in setting one up! Speak to churchs and ask about renting halls per hour etc, im also hopefully going to have a piece in the newspaper, only tiny, but in the classifieds section. Also, newsagents have customers ads in windows try that too. Obviously the first thing you need to do is the hall. Organise it for a months time or so, so that u got time to plan things. I also made leaflets and sent out an email to everyone on my contact list lol x

Wow, you've done loads! I'm very impressed! I'm going to wait til I actually get some responses on here, otherwise I'm worried noone will turn up! I thought I might search through old posts and pm people from the local area, see if they're interested.
    Then I can start making more plans - I know of a community centre which is quite cheap, so might use that. What are you doing about the costs involved? x

Well there might be loads of ppl in ur area that dnt use this site n want a group so try get the word out there with leaflets. provide an email address or something.

As the costs, its £10 per hour for the hall im using, and im covering all costs myself, its my choice to set up a group so i dont expect anybody else to pay for it when i dont really have to be doing this. but i want to, so am happy to pay the money. Its not much as long as it might be of use to some people. if u get me. But its been suggested to me to have a donation kitty or something, but im not keen on it. But it might be an idea u could use. also im buying a large jar of coffee and box of tea bags n prob some quash as theres a lil kitchen in the hall. xx

Anyone interested? Obviously you don't have to be IN Chester, people from the surrounding area would be welcome too!

Heya,

Have replied to your pm. I would definitely be interested. I would even be interested in helping you set it up, if you want a second pair of hands.

Lima x

"Start to breathe and fake a smile
    It's all the same after a while
    I know, that you are tired
    Carrying the ones you lost
    A picture frame with all your thoughts
    I know, you hold inside"
    Come Back Down - Lifehouse

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information