Thread: Engagement Ring Help

Engagement Ring Help

Alright folks I need help.

I wan't to propose to my girlfriend but I am struggling to find the right ring. I had chosen one but atfer some consideration have come to the conclusion that it's not right.

If it was a diamond ring then I would have been fine. But nope I have constraints.

So my constraints are as follows:
    1) G/F hates diamonds with a passion
    2) She hates shiny stones, or highly polished stones that have any sparkle to them
    3) She hates yellow gold.

Now I've seen loads of pretty plain looking rings about that come to about £20-60 which I don't want. I wan't it to actually be quite special, maybe have a story behind it etc. I'd like to spend at least £200 and most about £500. I would spend more but were saving to travel Canada and I can't get away with having all that money dissapear.

So does anyone know where to point me?

I'll take all the help I can get.

Re: Engagement Ring Help

White gold then.....Perhaps for that you could have something special engraved on the inside.
    Others may have an idea as to where you could find something suitable

CONGRATS
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

Yes i agree, white gold. Both my engagement ring and wedding ring are white gold. Why not propose to her and go and choose a ring together ?

If you like back stories you could try something like this http://www.find-antique-rings.co.uk/jewellery/antique_rings_feed.php or any antique jewellery stores. Victorian rings esp were very understated. Also with the stone problem, id recommend moon stone. Its very bland looking but at the same time awesome with diff colours running through it. Not to sparkly at all http://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/web/page/moonstone-engagement-rings

This ring is white gold, moonstone ant two tiny dimonds you can hardly notice, although those can be left off your ring.
    Good luck
    turned back upon the past?

Oh and just to say, i hate white dimonds, so i always get black dimonds, a hell of alot more expensive but no shine, just sort of slightly glossy depending on the cut. Maybe go for one of them if you want to stay sort of traditional.

what about an opal set in white gold?

Little history of the opal:

The Romans established opal as a precious gemstone, obtaining their supplies from traders in the Middle East. Opals from this era are thought to have come from Cernowitz, a mountainous region in what was at that time Hungary , but now Slovakia. However early Romans believed the source was India, an incorrect belief promoted by traders in order to protect their interests.
    They believed the opal was a combination of the beauty of all precious stones, and it is well documented in Roman history that Caesars gave their wives opal for good luck. They ranked opal second only to emeralds, and carried opal as a good luck charm or talisman because it was believed that like the rainbow, opal brought its owner good fortune. In the days when Rome spread her legions across Europe and Africa, a Roman Senator by the name of Nonius opted for exile rather than sell his valuable opal to Marc Antony who wanted to give it to his famous lover Cleopatra.
    In fact, in Roman times, the gem was carried as a good luck charm of talisman, as it was believed that the gem, like the rainbow, brought its owner good fortune. To the Romans, it was considered to be a token of hope and purity. It was also referred to as the "Cupid Stone" because it suggested the clear complexion of the god of love. The early Greeks believed the opal bestowed powers of foresight and prophecy upon its owner, while in Arabian folklore, it is said that the stone fell from heaven in flashes of lightning. The Oriental traditions referred to them as "the anchor of hope". Lucky opal - the stone of hope, the birthstone of October.

Just an idea

Lynnann

Lol Lynnann, i knew id forgotten to mention something, and i have my precious gem stone book open at opals right now :P lol. Opal is a very good choice.

Thank you all for your replies.

Forgot to subscribe to the thread.

MY girlfriend accidentally found the original ring which was my grandmothers, she died when I was 13 and it's something that means a hell of a lot to me.

I ended up telling her that I was going to get her something she'd love as I thought she wouldn't have liked it due to the fact that it's yellow gold and a (big) white diamond, but she has said she would love it as it's a family heirloom and she'd feel priviladged to wear something that means so much to me and because it's so sentimental she told me that it's abolutely perfect.

Well I feel really lucky to have her, however the plan to suprise her for an engagement has been foiled.

Any idea how I can salvage this so that she can have a good engagement story to share with her mates?

I haven't asked her formally to marry me yet so it's still open to a nice suggestion....

Thanks for your replies,

Dafydd x

saffire

Hi,yes white gold would be lovely,it is more expensive,and why not a pearl in the ring,then later for your anniversary you could give her a pearl necklace and matching earrings,I have a black pearl set in white gold and it is beautiful even if I say so myself.
    Rhonda x

Thread Information