Thread: Vein at side of ear?

Red face Vein at side of ear?

I've had a few headaches and my ear feels popped at times and I have a tense, squeezing numb right side of my head...could it be the cold?

I can feel the vein there sometimes it's pulsating ect.. is this tension/anxiety or should I worry? Had the symptom about 3 days or so.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Vein at side of ear?

Palpitations, pulsating, feeling/hearing your heartbeat etc are generally benign signs of anxiety, but as you say could also be made worse due to a head cold/infection etc. I doubt whether it's something you should worry about mate.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Well if there is tenderness when you move the pinnea, or outer portion of the ear, sharply in any direction then it's possible that you have either otitis media or otitis externa, in other words an ear infection. If the symptoms persist another 48 hours or alternatively if the symptoms grow worse, then you should seek direct medical evaluation.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

I've still got the symptom and a bit worried..

It's not as bad as such just I can feel the vein pulsating away and that makes that area of my head quite tense and sore..

Will it ease up and go away?

As you've still got these symptoms, I would go to your GP Phil. Don't worry - it's not likely to be anything life-threatening and I'm sure it's very treatable if it is indeed an infection.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia77 View Post
    As you've still got these symptoms, I would go to your GP Phil. Don't worry - it's not likely to be anything life-threatening and I'm sure it's very treatable if it is indeed an infection.
    Will some paracetamol help? I feel my head going tense like a tension headache.

Sure, if you've got a headache then paracetamol should help - but don't neglect going to your GP because some simple antibiotics may help to clear up your problem.

Never Surrender, Comrade

The symptom went away for a bit but it's returned in the last week or so.

The doctor told me not to worry if you can feel a vein. It feels like a tension headache at times and the veins round my head near my ear pulse sometimes..and I had the squeezing head feeling today.

It's a bit of a mystery symptom as it comes when I'm not too worried..but when it comes I worry it's a health issue.

I have a bit of a cold coming on again which may not be helping. The feeling is like the vein pulsates and my head feels squashed. Anybody else had this? Just gives me a lousy headache..could it be a tension one?

Again my symptom went away for a few weeks and in the last day or two it came back..the vein pulses and causes my ear to sometimes go numb or pop.

I've got another theory maybe it's Wi-fi? Too much Ipod's causing headaches and insomnia? Either that or a cold as I've had it on and off all year.

One fact about this symptom is it's worse with a blocked nose and constant blowing it...but it tends to stick around for ages after it and not go away...

It's annoying as all I can feel is this squeezing feeling at the right of my head + sore ear. Touch if you feel the vein pulsing..

Seems a rare set of symptoms on the forum not many people seem to realise what I mean.

Thread Information