Thread: Social anxiety when eating...

Social anxiety when eating...

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. So I've been suffering with social anxiety when eating for about 10 years (I'm now 25)

It first started just being scared of eating in restauants, but being able to eat in front of others at home etc, but gradually has got worse over the years and now its just eating anywhere if others are there.

The anxiety doesn't come from actually eating something, for example if someone asked me to taste something, I could do that, its just eating a whole meal. I think my my worry is that I won't be able to each much (or anything) because I get that anxious that my appetite goes, and then people think I'm weird for not eating anything, or that I'm anorexic or something (which I'm not).

I never go out for meals in restaurants or social occasions cos I just get too anxious I won't be able to eat anything. I've never had a serious relationship for the same reason, and I just feel like I can't go on like this.

I'm thinking of looking into hypnotherapy, as I know their aim is to change your way of thinking about things, and thats what I need. Has anyone tried hypnotherapy and did it help you? I know its quite expensive, so I'm trying to do some research before I go for it.

Does anyone else suffer from this? I don't get anxiety in any other situations, just around eating.

Thanks

Re: Social anxiety when eating...

I share the same anxiety as you. I really hate waiting for things, and it seems like I'm more anxious when I'm hungry, so waiting at a restaurant is terrible. Combine that with social anxiety and the fear of throwing up with nausea (one of the symptoms of my anxiety), and I've got a perfect storm of anxious thoughts.

I'm not able to offer you advice, as I am still suffering from it myself, just thought I'd let you know that you are definitely not the only one

Thanks for writing back

How long have you suffered from this for now? And if you don't mind me asking how did it start?

I'm worried cos mine has been going on for so long now (10 years) I'll never be able to change it, and my life will be life this forever.

Hi rainbow, i can relate too that aswell, along with my social phobias i find it really difficult eating infront of people specaily females because i feel like im being observed or watched, i feel like i cant eat with freinds or out in a resteraunt right now, but want too work on it..been this way for a long time too, since i was in my teens. But think itl help if we just start off with small steps, an not jumping in at the deep end..the same with tackling our anxiety too, just take it one step at a time. Itl be good to keep in touch with progress , i havent started to tackle my eating around people phobias yet as im working on my socialphobia more at the moment, but thatl be next on the list when im ready too. Hope your well, speak to u soon, stay in touch

dave

I have a phobia of eating in front of others. For some reason when I am eating in say a coffee shop, just a sandwich or a piece of cake people stare at me. Was in Costa Coffee last week and all I had was a latte and had 4 people sat a table keep looking at me. Mum could tell I was getting anxious but I didn't say why till we left as she would have said something to them. 2 men and 2 women, men were facing me and they kept whispering something to the women who would then stretch their necks making it so obvious they were staring.

I asked Mum if I looked weird or something but she said no I looked nice. I always go out with clean hair, make up on, dressed clean (usually jeans, boots and a vest top). Maybe it's because I am so aware of everyone around me and I look nervous when sitting there that people stare, I don't know but I hate being looked at

Hi I am newbie here and I am so glad that I found this site my problem is that I have been avoiding gatherings, meetings, social events that involve dinners, lunches, ect. I get really dizzy from some reason I am in a crowd at a dinner table, feeling of nausea and the feeling of being underwater (can't hardly breathe) I been suffering these attacks, not only at social events but at random times from the age of 16, now I am 31, but I feel I can't function no more. Its the worst when I am driving. Any suggestions?

dont worry what people think thay dont pay your rent
    eat what you want a lot or little its up to you

Thread Information