Thread: increasing dose from 50mg to 100mg after 5 years

increasing dose from 50mg to 100mg after 5 years

Hi,

I am considering increasing my dose of 50mg sertraline to 100 mg on doctors advice. Basically I have been well for over 4 years, then had a panic attack out of the blue about 8 weeks ago, think it was due to work stress, financial worries and giving up smoking. Anyway after the panic attack anxiety set in, will i be able to cope, will i get depression again, will i be able to go to work etc... till it gradually got worse, literally paralazyed by fear that my depression had come back. Went to see doc in tears who suggested about a month ago to double my dose, but i was reluctant to, because until this attack i was perfectly fine, started counselling through work, who said i had anxiety and not depression and gradually working through techniques to deal with it and also deal with the root cause. I have been having good days and bad days, back at work (after leaving in tears) doing normal things, but somedays its a struggle, the anxiety is a killer, can i do this? what if i dont feel like doing it will i become depressed, why do i feel low etc... but then somedays like yesterday had a lovely day, bbq with family, felt completely ok.
    So i am now thinking should i increase? i have been crying in frustration because "it" hasnt gone. But i am terrified of increasing, as when i start meds i always feel worse, dont know if i can go through that, i am thinking of increasing slowly going from my normal 50mg to 75mg then maybe to 100mg to hopefully stop the horrible side effects, does anybody have any experience of being on Anti D's for years then upping the dose.
    Thanks lynne

Re: increasing dose from 50mg to 100mg after 5 years

HI Lynne.... I really feel for you, Your story is similar to mine in the fact that i was told i had anxiety not depression after thinking i had depression, i also had all the associated fears of what if i don't feel like doing this or that, and how will i cope with it etc.... I also thought 'it' had gone for me after being on citaolpram for 18 months, then i went through a bit of stress and bam it all came back, i am now on day 1 again of taking the meds. I have read on here where people have increased their dose of meds after being on the for a number of years then decreased for a while etc. Sometimes we maybe need a bit more to cope with certain stresses and when you're feeling a bit better you could maybe drop down again...

The side effects are an issue but they are normally worth it in the long run.

I hope you feel brighter soon.

Jemma.

Hi Jemma

yes our symptoms sound very similar! i have stupid thoughts like today when lay in the garden reading my book, "what if i cant get up when the kids come home and make their tea?" i am then crippled with anxiety, its awful. I KNOW when calm or having a good day i can do it, its just on the bad days, it also relieves it when i talk to my family aswell, puts it in perspective, iam constanstly asking " iam not as bad as before am I . I woke up this morning with the usual thoughts, and went to the gym, because i didnt enjoy the gym it was like a major downer and had a little cry. whereas normally if i dont enjoy the gym , so what!!, i have irrational thoughts that iam not going to enjoy anything again, but when i am in the moment i do, i sympathise with you also, its horrible, i am back at the counsellor tomorrow after a two week break, so going to discuss the increase, iam just so scared and feel like i have failed again ! why does everything have to be such a big deal, i just want to get on with life lol! also back at work tomorrow after 4 days off, and the what if i dont cope is back, like it is every tuesday.
    Thanks for your reply Jemma x

I'm exactly the same, when i don't enjoy something at the minute i get really annoyed with myself, and it's like i constantly check now to see if i'm enjoying what ever it is i'm doing, I also seem to have quite a low opion of myself when I feel like this and most things seem a stress, but i'm sure as previously when the meds start to work i will feel better, but I think this time i need to address my triggers and learn to manage my stress as that's what seems to set me off, but I think i'm going to wait a couple of weeks untill the cit starts to works as just the thought of looking into why etc at the moment sends my anxiety much worse, but i must make an effort when i feel better and not get lazy and just think i'll be ok. I know the feeling of just wanting to get on with life I think we all feel like that when we're in this place.

As to work tomorrow, I managed today and i'll do my best tomorrow and that's all we can do right now, just take it as it comes and do what we can, but I wish you the best of luck that it goes good for you. Let me know how you get on with the counsellor tomorrow also.

Take care Jemma x

Just to say I could totally have written everything you both say. I was on Seroxat for 3+ years for PND - mostly anxiety. I thought 'it' had gone so I came off the drugs very slowly and carefully only to find it is still there.

I had to go up to 100mg of sertraline 2 weeks ago. I still don't feel myself but I feel much much better.

Good luck ladies.

Thread Information