Thread: Too much too soon?

Too much too soon?

I kinda suffer from social anxiety, the thought of meeting new people & being in new situations causes anxiety but the thing is, once I'm there, with new people, in the new situation, I usually cope fine. It's the THINKING about it what does it.
    Anyway, I've been going through a really rough time recently but I'm hoping to go to uni in September to do Theatre Studies & drama. So I've signed up for a local Amateur Dramatics group to get some experience in & they want me to come in for an induction on the 29th, which is only a week away! Now, usually I avoid these situations like the plague but for some reason, I just wanna do this! I just wanna go & not worry & not panic...but I'm worried I'm maybe trying to do too much too soon?

But I do just wanna go for it cos I'll have to start uni in september anyway, what will I do then? So I have to start breaking barriers down if I wanna get anywhere....avoiding things like this isn't gonna lead to anything, only a lonely, unhappy life with aload of regret.

I just NEED to do it, even though it scares me....

What do you think?????

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

Re: Too much too soon?

well you want to do it so that is a great start. the first step is always wanting to fix the problem. also you seem pretty motivated.
    are you in therapy? sometimes it can help prepare you.
    sometimes jumping into the deep end before you can over think it, is a good thing because you have no other choice but to swim. :-)

Re: Too much too soon?

Hi 87Sal,

Go for it, hope you enjoy yourself.

The anticipationary anxiety always used to get me, keep challenging your anxiety, you know you can cope and thats what you need to be telling yourself when your anxious. Situations might scare you, as you learn to accept it and affirm yourself coping, the anxiety will pass.

You take care, lets us know how you get on.

Thread Information