Thread: Fear of panic while flying…Will flying more often help?

Fear of panic while flying…Will flying more often help?

Done a lot of reading, but this is my first post. I’ve had PD for just over 30 years, and have been fortunate to get most of my life panic free with the exception of travel and flying. I travel about 3-4 times a year for work, and the anxiety prior to each trip is very hard to deal with. My constant fear is having a panic attack on the plane. Obviously there is nowhere to go once the flight starts.

My traveling pattern is almost always the same (I journal each trip).

1. Constant dread in the back of my mind as soon as I know that I have an upcoming trip. This usually happens a few weeks prior to travel.

2. Once on the plane, I often have periods of being sensitized (as Claire Weekes describes). The sensitized feelings of fear may come and go during the flight. While not a full blow PA, I’m very fearful during this time and afraid to get up, move or take any meds I might have (small amount of xanax).

3. Once I get to my destination, I thoroughly enjoy the trip and being away with others. The flight home is almost always much easier.

4. After I return, I think I could easily fly again, but as time goes on between trips, my mind goes back to its old fears of travel.

I’m now thinking that more fights might help me with this constant anticipatory fear of upcoming travel and the associated sensitized feelings. I’d like to take advantage of some low cost flights, and fly once a month or more. I’m thinking that flying more often for a while will help break my pattern of fear.

Anyone else tried this before? If so, how often did you fly initially to get your fearful feelings to dissipate? I think this is basically exposure therapy.

Re: Fear of panic while flying…Will flying more often help?

I think this is basically exposure therapy.

Yes it is and that's how CBT works.

My constant fear is having a panic attack on the plane.

I thoroughly enjoy the trip and being away with others. The flight home is almost always much easier.

I feel the above are a good illustration of negative and positive thinking. On the one hand before a flight you're focusing on your fear whereas once you're on your way back you're then thinking how much you enjoyed yourself.

I know this sounds simplistic but yes, I think whenever you get the opportunity to fly you should take it but when you do, practice focusing on your positive thoughts Before each flight rather than focusing on your fear so that before your flights you're already feeling more relaxed. In that way, perhaps the memory of looking forward to flights and enjoying being away would gradually replace the thoughts of fearing them so that eventually you fly without even thinking of panicking.

Thread Information