Thread: Suicidal thoughts

Suicidal thoughts

Hi everyone

I ve been feeling really low lately despite being on Citalopram for over moth and half now so far on 10mg, I been having some suicidal thoughts and I feel really worried about it, I don’t think practically I would do it. I used to self harm when I was 17 but I don’t have any thoughts about that just sometimes I think of the feeling of cutting my wrists and waiting for all my blood to flow out of my body and getting the feeling of relief . As I said I know I would not physically do it but I’m getting distressed that I get these thoughts I have read in the leaflet that you can get side effect like this but as this is my 3 rd time on Citalopram ad I have not experienced this before while on it

Has anybody here experienced this??

Re: Suicidal thoughts

Hi Keta,
    I think a lot of us have had the suicidal thoughts, I had plenty before I started the Cit and during my first week. Have you discussed with your GP about upping the dose, 10mg is the dose they normally start you on then you move up to 20mg.

It may be that the 10mg isn't strong enough to get to work on your anxiety, most get the benefit from 20mg, some need more. Suicidal thoughts are part of the anxiety, we think how it would be an option to escape the desperation. As long as you haven't reached the planning stage then you're in the same stage that many of us have gone through.

Talk to your GP and see if they think it's a good idea to increase your dosage, you might get more out of the meds if you move up to 15 or 20mg.

Better days Keta
    Shaun

Hi Shaun
    I do have doctor's on thursday so i will speak to him about it or her not sure as never met this GP before, I was wondering if i need my dose increased.

Thanks

Keta

Just a gentle reminder that although it's fine to discuss your worries regarding self harm, please don't graphically describe any methods as it does upset some of our members.

Best wishes

Lisa

I'm so sorry about that I have not realized.

So been to doctors yesterday he done with me one of those depression test and with the anxiety i also have moderate depression, so did up my dose to 20mg. I have taken 15mg last night to ease myself in slowly and see how i get on with that.

It's quite natural to get those negative thoughts, it's mainly because of the desperation that the anxiety brings on. Hopefully you'll start to feel more together as the Cit increases and the anxiety should be reduced to the point where even if there is some it's very manageable.

I've just been through a week or two's blip but it just felt like tension, there were no negative thoughts, I was just jittery and feeling a bit down. Now you've upped the dose you should start to notice a difference I think.

Better days Keta
    Shaun

Thanks Shaun

I ve taken so far 2 doses of 20mg and the side effects are back but i know it's just my body adjusting to the dose still pain in the bum.

Thread Information