Thread: Good thing its called Employment Support Allowence

Good thing its called Employment Support Allowence

Hi, Recently Jobcentre Plus is phasing out Income Support and Incapacity Benifit and Bringing in somthing Called Employment Support Alowence. This is what I am currently on.

I never realy understood the change untill today - It gives people a less stigmatized immage of you and your benifits.

My land lord called me up and asked me why I was claiming for help with housing costs he said "are you on Job seekers" and I said "no im only working part time at the moment im on Employment Support" (In retrospect I didnt have to give this info and shuldnt have done but I was caught unawares)

As a result my landlord dosnt know im "crazy" or "Sick" - wich is good becuase hes the kind of person that at best whould imidiatly start treating me different and at worst whould try everything he could to exploit my illness.

Its a much more posotive title and dosnt give away anything about your state of health. Very Usefull - Well done Jobcentre Plus

Re: Good thing its called Employment Support Allowence

Thanks fizz,

Good to know in case I end up going down that route. I have been on incapacity benefit and jobseekers allowance before and didn't know about the new ESA. I agree, incapacity benefit isn't a good name and conjures up all sorts of images.

Best of luck with your grumpy sounding nosey landlord. As long as he gets his rent, what you claim and why shouldn't be any of his business but I realise you were caught off guard.

Yvonne

Thread Information