Thread: new member

Hi,

I am thirty four years old and I live in south Wales.I have had social anxiety/confidence issues for many years.

I used to be outgoing as a child,but when I was eleven I was moved to a new school ,and that's where my problems started.
    I started to get bullied and so I started to withdraw from people and stay indoors all the time.

When I was in school I would never join in with activities and I used to sit in the corner of the class ,
    and not talk to anyone because I was afraid if I drew attention to myself they would bully me more.
    After about three years of this I started to play truant,and then I had a home tutor until I was sixteen.

When I left school at sixteen I didn't have any qualifications,just very bad social phobia
    and for the next ten years I drifted from one thing to another,youth training schemes,
    which I would run away from,day hospitals,hypnotherapy, but nothing seemed to work.
    It was the mid nineties and I don't think people knew much about social phobia/anxiety at that time.

Eventually when I was about twenty five I started to take medication for my social anxiety problems,
    and I found that it did help a lot, I started to go out more and more and meet people.
    In fact I felt so confident at that time that I enrolled on a course at my local college,
    I did an art and design course,which I completed and passed.
    I met some nice people there and I found it to be a very good learning experience.

That was a few years ago now,and since then I have done some charity work,and some other things,but at the moment my life just seems to have come to a full stop.
    I dont go out as much as I used to,I just seem to spend all my time in the house.

Thanks
    Last edited by zx123; 01-07-10 at 23:38. Reason: too much infomation

Hi zx123

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information