Thread: Do I suffer from a phobia?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do I suffer from a phobia?

Hello.

I have had problems with anxiety related symptoms for many years. It all started when I was 12 and I got very down because I have some small scars in my forehead. I was very curious as a child and thus had some accidents

I developed chronic tension headaches quite fast since the day that I became anxious about the scars. I also started to constantly hide my scars with my hair, and even did it when I was alone. I often wore hats and such...

The doctors says that I suffer from general anxiety, when they look at my symptoms. I have never told them that I find it impossible for me to not hide my scars in social situations. I just feel so low when I think about how others may judge me because of this, even if I know that people arent so bad as that.

So now im here after years of seeking for other answers to my symptoms. For a long time I havent even questioned if it is this fear that is causing my problems, as if I've subconciously just accepted that I will have to hide the scars for the rest of my life.

It is as if my mind just dont want to relax as long as I dont accept myself.

Has anyone had any similiar problems? Is my only way out of this by facing my fear? I'm so exhausted after all these years and dont think I can supress my fears any longer... I'm losing control of my life and can barely keep a job thanks to my exhausted mind and symptoms. I've been focusing to not hide my scars when Im alone for some days now and I can feel a difference. But even going to the supermarket without hiding my scars feels like a challenge. I know that nothing terrible will happen, but I am afraid of feeling unworthy.

I have never had any relationship. I did meet someone in my teens for a couple of weeks, but I became like a rock, my body tensed up so bad. I couldnt even think. I just kept thinking what the girl might think about me if she saw my scars.

Should I seek some kind of exposure therapy? I havent consulted a plastic surgeon, I might do it in the future, but I think it's not the right thing to do at the moment. I just want to be myself and not have any problems.
    Last edited by Shimakora; 01-07-10 at 09:37.

Thread Information