Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
I suffer from OCD/PANIC/PHOBIAS and most recently i cannot stop thinking about the act of swallowing. I believe it stems from my obsession with breathing or the inability to do so.

The thought I might choke scares me. From this I have developed a habit cough and a spitting 'tic' which means i get through more tissues than the average human! I know its gross and really want to stop, but I can't!

Swallowing for me has switched from a subconcious act to a VERY concious one! It gets worse when i am stressed.

I would appriciate any advice on how to get over such an obsession!

Thanks
Allie

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

I didn't think anyone else suffered from these problems that I've been going through. I've had these obsessions with involuntary actions since I was young. It started with blinking, then it went to twitches then itching then to swallowing, breathing and my heartbeat. It's really weird. I've been able to overcome most of them. What worked for me is not thinking about overcoming it. I used to try to control it, but that only made me think about it more and made it hang around more.

I've had this swallowing obsession now for about 2 years. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to get rid of it. I've started to get better with keeping it under a minimum by practicing some mind control.

I've checked on some sights about controlling the urge to do involuntary actions voluntarily. There's this site that claims that through increased brain power and mental methods that you can voluntarily control involuntary actions.

My question is does anyone know about any methods related to this? It would sure get rid of the uncontrollable feeling we have about our impulses.