Thread: Propanolol and Thyroxine

Propanolol and Thyroxine

Hi, I've been on thyroxine for two and a half years now, and my dosage is 100mcu daily, I haven't had any obvious problems or side effects during this time. 3 months ago my GP prescribed Propanolol for panic attacks and GAD. I am finding them very useful and can take up to 40mgs three times a day. I am perfectly happy with both my meds, but being a panicker I notice on the leaflets for both meds it says caution should be used and the doctor should be informed if you take both drugs....well, it was my doctor who prescribed both, does anyone else take both and are they okay on them? Thanks Mazzmate

Re: Propanolol and Thyroxine

Hi Mazzmate, your Dr wouldn't prescribed anything that would be dangerous when taken with your other meds, just think that you've been taking them for 3 months and you've been fine and well! If you are really concerned then maybe go to a Pharmacy or even give NHS Direct a call just for some reassurance.

How do you find the 40mg 3 x daily? I'm on 10mg when needed so take one in the morning and one mid afternoon but am finding that it's not having the same effect that it did, and am thinking of upping my dosage.

The reason is that Propranolol stops the Thyroxine working so well. Many docs don't know this - including mine. It was an Endocrinologist that flagged it up to me. BTW did you know taking your Throxine with coffee wasn't a good idea either?
    That's not to try and scare you. I was on lrge amounts of Valium until I got my Thyroxine dose put up. Being hypo can make anxiety worse too. It pays to learn about your health in a responsible way.
    Ask your GP if there's a different med that might work better or possibly increase your Thyroxine instead.

Bubble

my Doctor put me on propranolol with 150mm thyroxine its fin been taking 5 years

Thumbs up Re: Propanolol and Thyroxine

Thanks for replying to my email. I remember now that when my GP prescribed the propanolol she suggested she was going to put my thyroxine up from 75mcu to 100mcu, I thought it was because my TSH was slightly high, but maybe it was also to take into account the reactions of the two drugs. I have to say that the Propanalol works for me, and the GP tells me to increase and decrease as and when required, so when I feel good I take a low dose....say 20mgs twice a day, but if I feel desperately anxious....like today for some unknown reason then I up it and take 40mgs twice a day. I was originally on 10mgs as and when, when I first started having panic attacks last October but as my anxiety increased I needed more meds. I used to loathe the thought of taking medication but it has been my saviour these last few months.

Did the doctor not think that maybe your panics were because of the thyroxine? Doesn't this drug compensate for having your thyroid removed? therefore, the thyroxine dose may have needed adjusting rather than adding another drug. I take 80mg propranolol daily and I know that it works by blocking adrenaline from reaching the heart so slowing it down, so in this way you can probably take it with something that would speed things up such as thyroxine, but this is a very fine balancing act with dosages. I'm just surprised that the doctor didn't suggest adjusting the thyroxine first to see if your panics subsided. Just a thought

Anna xxx

Nice theory Anna and yes it's wise to check thyroid levels if things are getting worse. It pays to remember thatanxiety can be caused both by too much or too little Thyroxine though.

Bubble

Thread Information