Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and citalopram

Alcohol and citalopram

I am sufferng from depersonalisation I made the mistake of having a couple of pints of scrumpy cider last night at brother's house which I wrongly assumed would help me relax
    Before started taking cit. could handle a moderate amount but today I feel absolutely awful. The DP and anxiety are worse and arms constantly tingling. This is much worse than just a 'normal' hangover'. Just want to stay in bed forever! This serves as a warning that alcohol and meds don't mix!

My brother is also going away on holiday for two weeks with his wife and kid and I have been visiting him regularly to help me relax and someone to talk to as I live alone. Have started to worry how I will cope when he away.
    Last edited by StressedEric; 04-07-10 at 17:21. Reason: spelling!

Re: Alcohol and citalopram

Hi there Eric,
    Yes definitely no alcohol with Citalopram. Drink lots of water today! Well while your brother is away you can chat to me any time! I will definitely be here the shole time so just let me know when you're feeling lonely and you can ramble and vent with me!
    Suz

Quote Originally Posted by suzannacorfu View Post
    Hi there Eric,
    Yes definitely no alcohol with Citalopram. Drink lots of water today! Well while your brother is away you can chat to me any time! I will definitely be here the shole time so just let me know when you're feeling lonely and you can ramble and vent with me!
    Suz
    Thanks Suz. Yeah will try to keep off the alcohol as it seriously messed me up today!! Going back to work tomorrow (after taking another 2 weeks off). Don't know how it will go but can't cope stuck alone in house on my own all day.

Will def. jump on NMP for a chat with you if I get low when bro goes away. Cheers.

well, it never killed me, but it certainly did do me any bloody good either!

all I cna do is reiterate what the others have said really, to be honest if you've got an anxiety issue one should'nt really drink at all (I admit that's quite rich coming from me) I've had intermittent periods where ive drank heavily and then not touched booze at all and there is most certainly a difference in anxiety levels, withdrawal perhaps, or the aftershock of drinking, either way its best to keep off the sauce whilst going through this, however much it seems to help at first.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dan

Smile Re: Alcohol and citalopram

Hi Eric

When I started off on Citalopram I stayed off alcohol for about 2 months. When I started back on the sauce, it was definitely not the same. Nowadays though, I can honestly say that I don't suffer as much the following day as I used to when getting merrily drunk. I feel I get drunker slightly quicker though but I put that down to being out of practice .

Stick with the meds - they're great for helping with the anx and you'll be back to normal soon enough and won't even think about how alcohol is going to effect you, because you never did so before the anxiety.

Best of luck - it will pass.

Rich

Having another bad day today. Oh well. Don't think it is still the alcohol although scrumpy was pretty strong!. Tried going back to work today and the DP is terrible got continuous fast tremours in arms a bit like the vibration of a mobile phone on silent when held in your hand. Anxiety is very high. Going to GP on Fri. about meds. I appreciate some meds work better than others depending on the person. I've been on Cit. for 3 months now and haven't really felt much benefit.
    Last edited by StressedEric; 05-07-10 at 13:09.

20mg is a small dose for Anxiety Eric .You will probably find a increase to 30mg beneficial and if after 6weeks its only slightly improved a further increase to 40mg will do the trick .As for the alcohol .until you are stable again and feel a lot better ,id stay off it .I never had a drink for 8months and now I can have a few and not feel bad the next day .It does affect me quicker ,so I pace myself ,or end up feeling dreadful the next day .Alcohol is renowned for causing anxiety the next day , if you have too much .I hope your appointment with the Dr goes well and you feel better soon .Sue x

I used to drink alot of the time when I was on Seroxta but I was stable then. I think if you are going through a bad patch them alchol does not mix, if you are stable and life is great then alchol is fine. At the moment I wouldnt drink as I know I would feel worse the next day.
    Hope you feel better soon

Yeah, def gonna keep off the booze for a good while, it was a bit silly of me to think that drinking strong cider would help me get through a bad patch!

First day back at work was a real struggle with the high anxiety. Can't realy take more time off as the company will probably let me go. Said I will go in tomorrow but it will be a challenge. Think the alcohol is out of system by now though!

Quote Originally Posted by suzy-sue View Post
    20mg is a small dose for Anxiety Eric .You will probably find a increase to 30mg beneficial and if after 6weeks its only slightly improved a further increase to 40mg will do the trick .As for the alcohol .until you are stable again and feel a lot better ,id stay off it .I never had a drink for 8months and now I can have a few and not feel bad the next day .It does affect me quicker ,so I pace myself ,or end up feeling dreadful the next day .Alcohol is renowned for causing anxiety the next day , if you have too much .I hope your appointment with the Dr goes well and you feel better soon .Sue x
    Hi Sue,Was prescribed 30mg a couple of weeks ago but too scared to take it as worried it will make my dp worse and dont think I'll cope if this happens! Every day just kept putting it off . Will talk to doc and let her know my feelings. Mite build up my courage and try 25mg first. I suppose won't know for sure unless I try it! Thanks Sue
    Last edited by StressedEric; 05-07-10 at 21:04.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information