Thread: Obese and scared :(

Unhappy Obese and scared :(

The main source if my health anxiety is because I'm overweight. I'm 27 and 20st. Every twinge and palpitation makes me think i'm going to have a heart attack because of my size. It's a vicious cycle, I eat to make myself happy and find dieting so hard and overwhelming cause I have so much to lose :(
    I don't drink or smoke my bp is on the higher side of normal.
    My HA is so bad because of it. I don't know what to do :(

Re: Obese and scared :(

what is your BP?

im in the same boat as you at the moment, im not even experiencing heart palps (i get them quite rarely) but i still think im going to die any min...

you are fine, 20st isn't that bad and at 20 your in your prime!!

there are 40+ year olds out there who are over 25 stone and they are still here!

Are you on any Medications because some Antidepressants make some people gain weight?

CJAO9.
    you are not alone in this I am 52 weigh a little less than you, my weight has been up and down like a yoyo since I had a breakdown last November, I have tried 3 different types of a/d initially you will lose weight on them but some do make you gain but at that moment intime when your mental health is the primary concern you put your weight issues on the back burner, believe me I have been there, I am supposed to be having my umbilical hernia fixed but have been told to lose weight as they wont operate until I do its possible it could strangulate but I just go careful. lordanxious mentioned you have time on your side being only 20 as long as you do not have any predisposing health factors that run through your family ie diabetes heart related problems. You are probably having the palpitations through anxiety so just go with them . I find when mine start to flutter up I take a deep breath and blow out slowly.
    Dont worry tho!! keep posting there are lots of wonderful people on here to offer up advice and share their experiences.
    Jean
    Last edited by jaded jean; 06-07-10 at 12:23.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes I do take AD I take escitralopram. Have been on AD's since I was 15 :(
    started to get tubby when I was about 10 then developed adolescent anxiety and depression at 14 and started to comfort eat- have had a bad relationship with food ever since. Have yo-yo'ed alot! Now at my heaviest and it's freaking me out :(

Hi there again.
    Yes food can be my best friend and my enemy. But realise you have got a battle on your hands . Are you having CBT or counselling of any sort as the tablets them selves do not eradicate the whole problem on their own,you have to work at it as well. Does your family support you. I think that once your anxieties are sorted out , your eating habits could change too.
    Take care Jean

Yes I'm having CBT too but we ate focusing on my anxiety and ability to do "normal" things. I hope he will help mr with my food demons too. I'm also currently off work with a back injury, have been for about 7 weeks. So I have limited mobility and have put mire weight on as I've not been doing normal stuff!
    It's a horrible battle and now it's causing me great HA :(

Hi CJA09,

Even although you are overweight you have youth on your side, so don't worry about having a heart attack. Also, slim people gets palpitations so don't be so hard on yourself. Like you I tend to overeat when I'm anxious and agree that it's a vicious circle. I always find that walking makes me feel better and burns off some calories. We all know what to do to lose weight but it's not easy for most of us so don't beat yourself up about it. When you are feeling better I'm sure you'll be able to get some weight off.
    Myra x

There has been used to prove that when obese people are planning to follow the diet has been claimed that previously they always lose weight. No, they are lying, but because lots of people have selective memory when it comes to food are because, you write down everything you eat when you should not eat it later.
    Try to plan your meals before hand.
    When you're hungry, drink a glass of water then wait 20 minutes, if you're still hungry for something to eat. If that is something like a breakfast of fruit, not (salted) nuts, seeds, rice cakes, carrot sticks with low-fat Hummus is ..

Thread Information