Thread: mild OCD?

mild OCD?

Ok I really dont know what this is but I have had it for years now and I want some closure. Since I was about 11 when I saved my money for a new videogame, I remember I damaged the case the day after by an accident and then I could not enjoy the game. It worked perfectly just had a damaged case. It was on my mind and I felt like I had a used copy of the game or something and it was depressing me (I know that will sound pathetic to some).. Even now at 21 I had a new game sent to me by post and it had creases up the side of the cardboard and it really got to me. I purposely ripped it so I could say it had been damaged and replace the item and now the new one has the same.. I have to settle with it and I feel I can't enjoy them coz the small damage on the box.. WHAT IS THAT? Any help?

Re: mild OCD?

It's probably perfectionism which "can" become a problem if we let it go too far. There's nothing wrong in wanting things to be perfect though. It's a conscientious trait and a good quality to have.

It only becomes a problem when we don't allow ourselves mistakes that don't actually matter or feel compelled to repeat actions that have no purpose other than to ease anxious feelings.

When we buy things, we expect them to be in perfect order. It's the way it should be. My father used to work for a toy company. He used to bring home damaged goods they couldn't sell. The only thing damaged about them were the boxes they were held in! When we pay good money, we should expect to receive quality so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just a little example of OCD. Years ago at work I was writing out numbers on a long sheet. I made a mistake but rather than cross it out or use tippex, I felt compelled to re-write the whole list. It served no purpose other to ease my anxious feelings. Unfortunately though my boss saw me and, well......and I felt really but that was OCD for you. No, I wasn't sacked but I didn't hang around too much longer as it was a very stressful job which made my OCD much worse. Once I got out of there and found a more enjoyable job, my OCD became much easier to handle.

Anyway, that's how OCD can be a problem.

Thread Information