Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toilet phobia

Re: Toilet phobia

Hi Nixi, you are very welcome! Thanks for your reply too. I must admit I felt like I was bearing my soul a bit with the post and it took a while to get my first reply so I thought - ok I really am the only one! but then I got a lot of replies and this helps me to know Im not the only one too! My GP says it is just my 'stress reaction' that I need to go as soon as I am anxious (how inconvenient is that!?). She said it isn't good to take too much imodium but that you can get a similar effect by having more fibre in your diet. I said to her 'I thought fibre gave you the opposite' and she assured me it actually makes you less likely to have loose bowel movements/ diarrhea. Good luck with the CBT - I've been on the NHS waiting list for about a year now so hope to get some soon too! Let me know if it helps xxx

I will definitly, I was told I would be waiting for a year but had an unexpected phone call on Thursday to say they could see me on the Friday. The trouble is I know I am going to start having to go out which I would really try and do if my IBS is ok but if I am having a bad day I really dont know how I will cope. Like today I was going to try and walk the dog but tummy has been dodgy all day and just couldnt bring myself to risk it. Maybe next weekend.........

I have cut down on the amount of teas and coffees I have been drinking and found that I need the toilet less often, I also don't drink too much before I go out to places.

Quote Originally Posted by AJS View Post
    omg - i am the same - i have had a dodgy system for the past 3-4 years which gradually got worse.
    I have never liked having to use public toilets from a young age.
    last year i got a load of blood tests as the running to the loo was becoming more and more frequent and I was losing weight. They first found helicobactor and treated it with anti biotics. my tummy/bowels were still in bits - so next came the colonoscopy and endoscopy (which terrified me). They found nothing and the consultant just said i must have IBS.
    Then next came the first panic attack out of the blue - again terrified me - which led to panic disorder - couldnt eat, sleep, go to work, was scared to go anywhere.
    Eventually things got a better after seeing a counselor and being put on 20mg citalopram and propananol.
    I use immodium frequently - if I have to go somewhere I take it as a precaution - i actually think it's more physcological as I think well i've taken immodium that will stop me needing the loo. But when panic is really bad i need to run to the loo anyway.
    I can't believe there are other people who have the same issues as me - I thought i was a weirdo that worried about toilets.
    I have had 2 accidents in the car - which left me devastated - i cried mky hear t out for ages afterwards - i felt degraded and out of control of my own body - luckily these were in the car and not in public - which is my biggest fear. I have to get on a train in the morning and evening going to work -and i am always worrying - what if there is no loo on the train, or what if its out of order and we get stuck on the track and i start to panic my bowels go then i have an accident. I built up the courage to speak to my counselor about it and she didn't bat an eyelid - she said "oh yeah we've treated people for the same thing before" which made me feel better - but she did say whats the worst that can happen - which of course is having an accident in public - her attitude is so what - but i would be mortified - it was bad enough when it happened in the car. I try and plan things out and take precautions - like always having tissues, i have bought a cardboard loo for the car in case of emergencies - i take immodium all the time - I have even considered buying tena pants and i am only 27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it's such a difficult thing to talk about - i am so glad that i have found other people who suffer the same and we can all try and help each other. Just like the panic attacks and anxiety - talking to others on here has been a saving grace for me.
    I hate havin to use the toilets in work - i am always worried that someone will come in - or that i leave a smell!
    I have come to realise that - yes i have probably got ibs and get bloated and certain foods make my stomach upset - but a huge part of this is caused by the stress, anxiety and panic attacks - i just can't believe there has not been more lingking between these things by doctors.
    anyways - i have now rambled on for ages - anyone got any remedies or tips?
    AJ x
    AJ- i know you posted this a few months ago but hope you are still on here. What you said in your post about woryign about goign to the loo and that you tink a large part of your ibs symptoms are down to your psychological worries is exactley the same as me!
    I just want to get over my fear or at least learn how to manage it as it is taking over my life!
    where did you get the cardboard toilet from for your car?

Helen

I am reallly relieved to read these posts! I genuinely believed that this phobia was unique to myself and despite having both CBT and NLP over the last few years I have never verbalised this anxiety and thus i guess i have seen no change.
    Anyone have any tips on this phobia?

thanks

feels good to knw im not the only one but in a bad way cause i knw how much of it a pain it is. it started off with being scared i wouldnt be able to go for a wee if i needed to which made me go more and then it switched to both number 1 and 2. this was the main thing with my anxiety and now its escalated :(

Quote Originally Posted by IndianStar View Post
    feels good to knw im not the only one but in a bad way cause i knw how much of it a pain it is. it started off with being scared i wouldnt be able to go for a wee if i needed to which made me go more and then it switched to both number 1 and 2. this was the main thing with my anxiety and now its escalated :(
    I have exactly the same, amazing how many people have it but are too embarrased to admit it.
    I would like to know where the cardboard toilet can be purchased as well!

so pleased to see this thread. I am exactly the same. I hate going out and really have to force myself, Im constantly looking to see where the next loo is when im out. It ruins everything for me and my poor husband. I have IBS which is not helped with the stress and anxiety I have.

I take immodium as a precautionary measure which sort of works but doesnt stop the anxiety and the "need to go" or even the "might need to go"

I don't know where to turn to now, my life is just one long panic attack. I have a 2 year old daughter and feel so sorry for her, what kind of example/mother am I? I hate that she is probably suffering because of me. I feel like I cant look after her properly anymore and its all getting me down.

Sorry for the rambling

The symptoms that all of you have discussed are very comforting to me. I'm 22 and have suffered from the fear of soiling myself since i can remember which i believed i was the only one. When i suddenly feel a tummy ache coming on, my heart races, i become clammy and feel very nauseous that i make myself gag or actually make myself sick. Would that class as an anxiety problem??? Like a lot of you, i have become a little obsessed with making sure there is a toilet everywhere i go and that i go to the toilet before i go anywhere, even if its going from one place to the other in 15 mins. When i need to go i need to go. The only person i've told is my partner who thought it was funny at first, but now knows my problem is serious and very upsetting for me. Sometimes i'm fine if i go to the toilet before hand, but sometimes i think i make myself need the toilet when im out. It's starting to restrict my life style, going out into town, the friends houses and holidays... I'm glad i know lots of people have the same problems as me as i felt like a freak. What steps do i take next? Do i see a doctor or try some therapy?

Thanks to everyone for your earlier posts, really is a relief to know i'm not alone.

Charlie

There was me thinking as was the freak of the world worrying about disgracing myself in public due to not making it in time. This thread as somewhat given me some relief in knowing i am not alone.

I have never had an accident but when travelling, even the 15mins to work on the bus) i am always looking for the next toilet in case i did to go. I have even started to think of places in bushy places to hide if i need to go that badly.

i am quite lucky in that i work in a gym so i can work out and really have freedom to roam at work aka go the toilet when i need to. I unforgeable haven't been able to go to any work nights out in fear of such a thing happening and ruining my self respect and i guess how people see me. i guess this is my underlining trigger for my anxiety, in that i dont want to make a fool of myself and embarrass myself in front of people i truly like hanging around with.

I havent been able to go out in such a long time and friends are starting to just think i dont want to hang out or socialize with them, when its the opposite and its just my fear of being outside what i know.

I dont know what the cure is or any tips but i am sure taking cip and have CBT will hopefully help me and i can have a normal life that i want and crave.

I am getting tired and upset about it almost everyday, I am starting to give up hope on finding a manageable way to life, even a cure.

Thanks for posting this thread and making me see i am not some freak.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information