Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toilet phobia

Re: Toilet phobia

at least four million people (and possibly many more) suffer from the debilitating disease of Toilet Phobia. Needless to say, this is currently the ‘most read’ story on their site. Now, several times a day, at least, I find myself infuriated by the moronic mangling and regurgitating of press releases that seems to pass for journalism these days. This is no doubt evidence of some kind of disorder of my own, and this particular story isn’t an extreme example, but nonetheless I am moved to write about it because, if nothing else, it’s more interesting than doing the washing up. I’m not suggesting that there aren’t people for whom this is a serious problem, but “Millions ‘hit by toilet phobia’” is just ridiculous.

I cannot tell any of you how much of a relief finding this website is too me, in the past three months my life has gone down hill fast ! I have always suffered with panic but never this, I have had a miss and cases were I have had to use a public toilet. I don't go out anymore, I even dream about having to go whilst out. I have two children and I feel guilty and bad. I cannot see a way out :( does anybody else feel this low. I darent go out as I don't like to use public toilets out of embarrassment. I am currently having cbt, but I just can't my head around if working.:( thanks for all the stories on here, I don't feel so alone now x

As someone that has been to the depths of despair with my 'issues' I can totally relate to everything said here.

I am still not over it by anymeans but a combination of going to a hynotherapist that dealt with finding the root cause of the issue as well as going to a group therapy course where I got to meet other similar panic sufferers and was taught the facts of how the body reacts and that the fight or flight (Panic) response is actually our bodies working too well!

It got me to right down a list of 10 things that I felt I couldn't do now that I would want to do, going up to the thing that I most wanted to do.

Mine was to go on holiday in a plane and last year I flew to Thailand with family (14 hours each way) and didn't have any issues!

I still get panicked now every now and again and if I have a job interview etc I will take Imodium. Example is that I recently went to see Take That (GF dragged me..haha) and the Foo Fighters with 85k and 65k fans there and limited toilet facilities. Got to one via Train and Tube which is still an achievement for me.

The thing to focus on is it does get better with time and constantly trying to push your boundaries/comfort zone will allow you to do more an more things without thinking about it.

I look forward to the day I look back at this period of my life and wish I had not spent so much time worrying about things I can't control and concentrate on living!

Andy

This is me to a T, im so glad im not alone, its totally debilitating, im feeling very isolated by it all, i wish i could find a way of getting over this, not even sure what to label it as, is it ibs or a phobia got no idea, doctors are not help and to be honest have made the situation worse. im sat at home while my daughter is in a show and im not there to support her as i sat through a panic attack watching her last night, it makes me feel worthless and a useless mum and im passing my axietys on to my kids, it isnt fair, tell me people get over this, i feel like im losing my mind, no one around me understands and my partner is losing patience, enough is enough i need a cure

Thank God it is not just me. I am so paranoid about this, I have had anxiety since last xmas now and I cannot get it under control. I am on medication and on a waiting list for CBT. My total fear is having an accident. I was once in my car with a friend when all of a sudden my stomach just went mad, luckily we were in a supermarket car park. I had severe pains and just knew I had to go. It was a really bad Diarreah attack and I was mortified; I told my friend I'd been sick I was so embarassed.

Ever since then my anxiety has got worse, Ive just come back from a stressful day with my mum in London. It took me ages to psyche myself up to even leave the house. I know there is nothing wrong with me but I simply cannot tell my body that.

This is taking over my life and I do not want it to progress any further, next Sunday I go on holiday and I am so worried about the journey to the airport, the wait in the airport, the flight. My god I should be excited I am only 20!

It is such a relief to know that it is not just me, I feel really lucky as I do not have IBS etc which would increase my chances of anything bad happening.

I feel so weak and powerless, I know that this is all in my head in my case, I studied this in Psychology. I wish I could make it stop on my own.

Chin up everyone.

Hello all,

I can't even begin to explain how relieved I am to have found this thread. Seriously, to know that there are other people who suffer from the same thing as me is so reassuring. Obviously it's not good that we all have this, but I thought I was the only one.

Like many of you, I have stopped doing so many things because I'm petrified that I'm going to have an accident. I just wish I could leave the house without having to relay in my head where every toilet option is. I saw that some people were talking about the TENA pads/nappies and this is definitely something I've considered. At the moment, if I'm feeling stressed I will put tissue in my underwear. Not that this would probably help in any way, but I think that it's the psychological aspect that helps. I also take imodium as a precaution if I'm going somewhere where I don't know where the toilets are.

It's definitely getting worse, so any tips would be great appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Maxi

OMG can't believe there is others out there like me I wish it would just vanish!

I do have that kind of anxiety. Whenever I'm at work I can't concentrate because of diarrhea but I don't want to go the restroom cause' am not comfortable because there are so many employees walk in and out to the restroom.

Hi Guys,

I suffer from this too. I get all hot and sweaty and then my palms go sweaty.. and I get a stomach ache and then need the loo if I reach one I am fine after and I calm down but ache after because of how much I have worked up myself.

What is best deep breathing? Or use Immodium to make a peace of mind?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just been reading this at work whilst sat worrying about needing the toilet, got really bad pains in my stomach today.
    I Have been back & forth to the doctors over the years about my anxiety.
    Different medications I have been tried on are Citalopram & Amitrpyline but both are antidepressants & that isn't really the underlying issue.
    My doctor is now trying me on propranolol a beta blocker and referring me to a councillor so will see how that goes....

I experienced all the things described here... I really feel for the person who was learning to drive, I failed my test 7 times before I passed due to worrying about needing the toilet, what helped me in the end was taking my instructor on the test with me, sometimes if someone i feel comfortable with is with me on journeys it helps a little. Also now that I can drive, my car is my safe place which seems strange as travelling is my main trigger, but knowing I am in control of the car & if I did need to pull over at the side of the road, bushes, pub, supermarket, then I can!!

Everyday at work I sit here worrying about the toilet which is so silly as I actually sit right next to the toilet & am fortunate in the fact that we have a choice of 3 different sets of ladies toilets plus 3 disabled toilets here!

People were saying about the tenna lady pants, well last time I went on holiday which was only a 2 hour drive I wore a sanitary towel & took 2 lopermide and a rescue remedy pastel....although it sounds silly it did help i think it was more psychological... its so silly sometimes a trip to the shops is like preparing for battle, against myself!

The worst thing is I know its daft but I just can't stop the thoughts!
    Would be nice to know if any of the earlier posters have found any success?

Hope you are all ok today xx

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information