Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Toilet phobia

Re: Toilet phobia

Hi Everyone

I really hate it when you go to the loo, and there is always a very long queue of people waiting to go, just can't seem to go. Also never go on an aeroplane, as so scared that I will get sucked down the loo (I know really silly) and they are so tiny, when you open the door you are practically sitting on the loo.

Hope everyone is ok.

Hi . Dont know if this is of interest to any of you. Iwas watching the news the other day when a woman came on about the affect ibs was having on her life and how terrified she was of needing the loo when out and about. She went back to the dr with her fears and has now got a little pink ID card stating she has a medical condition and needs access to a toilet. She can just nip in any shop or any building she is close to show her card and they are obliged to let her use their loo. Just thought this would help some of you. x

Thanks for the post guys... How is everyone? How are you all coping?

Hi

I have been suffering for 10 years with this. Have had so many tests for all sorts of things andf thaught it was just me. Having done a google search and found this thread has made such a difference. I cant believe i am not the only one.

I have had this for the last two years. I have had to give up work and can go for weeks without leaving the house. Just the thought of going out can me have to rush to the loo. This can happen 3 or 4 times in half an hour.

I also have depression so am in a vicious circle. I frightened of using public toilets because of the noise and smell.

It has totally ruined my life and my childrens. I cant go to see school plays, sports and the other day my little boy was having trouble at school and wanted me to go in and speak to the teacher, and got 2 mins down the road, bowel went with no warning and I had to turn back.

When I leave the house for doctor appointments, shopping I have to take a change of clothing for bottom half in case of accidents. Its just better for my mental health at the moment not to go out as I get myself into such a state its not worth it.

Sorry for such a depressing reply but I have no idea at the moment where to turn to, medication is not helping one bit.

Hi Everyone,

This thread started a long time ago but I figured I would respond in case anyone was still reading. I have suffered from the same conditions for over 7 years now, I just turned 30. I am still dealing with it, but have found some strategies useful. I went to every doctor conceivable, went to the gastro told me everything was fine with me, that it was all in my head and diagnosed me with ibs for lack of a better option. So I ended up going to therapy, which is a very slow process but has helped me a lot. Now I don't need to make sure there are bathrooms everywhere I drive to or really try to forget about it, and can control it a lot better.

When I start getting these panic attacks I need to go to the bathroom immediately and I don't get diarrhea in most cases, but I literally empty myself out (sorry for being graphic) I go a lot, so the worst fear is having to go in a friends house where I have been invited for dinner and having to go so much that the toilet won't even work...embarrassing right? full panic attack, clammy hands, can't breath, need a bathroom NOW.

In extreme cases I have to take Xanax, if I need it to work faster I chew it. It works like a charm, but much better if you take it before you are in the middle of an attack. Also I carry with me everywhere peptobismol and immodium (it makes me feel safe), even though I really try to avoid immodium because it will make me constipated for 1 week or so. I am now taking Probiotics and that is helping me a lot, to keep regular and healthy.

Try to avoid coffee in the morning if you are going to encounter a stressful situation, the airport, a job interview...drink water, breath and have confidence in yourself, you can beat this! go travel the world!

This is me.

I find this the most soul destroying symptom I face.

I was planing a trip to a beautiful landmark last week.

In spite of my recent progress, I felt so disabled.

To travel to this landmark by train is impossible as there are no toilets on the train line I would be travelling on. I spent 4 hours looking at alternative travel or splitting my journey to no avail.

This is the most painful symptom of anxiety that I face. I have no answers for this as yet.

I wish all reading this thread well and empathise with your struggles.
    Last edited by Serenitie; 20-02-13 at 01:04. Reason: grammar

I can't put into words how relieved I am to have found this thread. It makes me feel so much better that other people share a similar phobia to me.
    I can't even remember when my phobia began because that is how long it has been controlling my life. I have a fear of not being close to a toilet or being able to find one. As soon as I am put in a situation where I am in a new place or out in the open where I might need to search for a toilet I panic. I have had this problem since I was a child. I am now 24 and still not anywhere near resolving it. All my memories of school are a fear of not being able to get out of class to go to the toilet, I guess I developed OCD to control my fear as I had set times I had to go to the toilet every day and if I missed those times (which I never would I would panic.) I have spent pretty much my entire life dehydrated as I never want to drink anything incase this causes me to need the toilet if I was to want to do anything that day. I went into exams at school and probably ruined my education because all I could think about is that I would fail if I had to leave to use a toilet.
    If I am leaving the house I can sometimes go to the toilet up to five times to make sure there is nothing in my bladder.
    When I went to college I managed to get my fear under control for a year or so as I could go to the toilet quite easily. I should probably say that I don't actually need the toilet when I go. I don't even remember the last time I went to the toilet and actually was bursting- for me even needing a tiny bit is bursting. Anyway, my fear seems to escalate at certain times in my life to be a lot worse than others. In more recent years my phobia got really bad again when I had been in a relationship and was not going out as often between being in my own house, my work and my partners those were my comfort zones and I eventually could barely leave the house. I became pretty much unable to go in a car- this is my biggest fear of all and always has been. As in a car I feel there is no control over getting to a toilet. If I knew I was going in for more than five minutes I would have a panic attack. Convince myself I was bursting. It ended up not only controlling my life but my partners too as he was obviously so affected by it. It actually caused him to break up with me as I became totally unable to leave the house. Don't get me wrong he tried his hardest to help me & was always very supportive. While we weren't together I forced myself to do all the things out with my comfort zone and that helped me a lot.
    We got back together after a few months and he saw a huge change in me. I went to Thailand travelling & managed to start doing driving lessons. At this point even though my life was still controlled by my phobia I felt the most free I had in years. I have done so many things that I am ashamed of- running away from my dad when our car broke down and walking home, running away from my boyfriend when out on days out to find toilets and just going home, walking out of a restaurant when out with my boyfriend for dinner when we had already ordered food because I couldn't see a toilet, walking out of the cinema and leaving my friend and going home all while panicking over this ridiculous thing! I just want it to go away! I had never researched it because every time I think about it or talk about it, it gets worse- it makes me panic about it more. I have never gone to the doctor about it for the exact same reason. It is not through embarrassment to tell people but the fear of making it worse rather than better.
    It is so ridiculous and I know that it is mostly in my head. Although I do think I probably have a small bladder also.
    After seeing this thread I called the doctor and made an appointment. I really hope they can help.
    And I sympathise so much with everyone on this thread having to live with this fear as I can't even put into words how much it takes over your life!
    I am going to America this year with my boyfriend and I want this to be under control by then because I don't want to spend thousands on a holiday and then ruin it for not just myself but for him. Already he is telling me all the things he wants to do like go to the Grand Canyon and every time I think about it I panic thinking how am I going to go in a car for four hours!
    Anyway I apologise for my life story but it is just such a relief to see other people have the same problem as me!

Smile Re: Toilet phobia

So so so glad I have found this forum! I have IBS and have worried about goings out in case I needed the toilet in a hurry for nearly 7 years. It is such an embarrassing condition to have and has made me agoraphobic.

I had a school sports day yesterday and spent most of it trying to talk self down from the panic I was feeling despite knowing that there was a toilet not too far away.

I'm hoping to make some friends he who understand how it feels because it is not easy to talk to someone who doesn't!

Best wishes to all of you in coping with your condition!

I apologise I know this is an old thread but just wondering if anyone who posted is still active on the forum? Has anyone managed to overcome their toilet phobia or atleast manage it better? I've just had my CBT cancelled and don't know where to turn now. I'm so desperate to get my life back. I've had toilet phobia for a few years now, maybe 4 or 5 and it's got so out of control, I need help! I obsess about my food, control when I go to the toilet and panic when I don't go everyday at a certain time, I can't go out until I've been, I constantly check where the toilets are, carry underwear, pads, you name it. Everything that has already been mentioned I also do. It's caused me to have hemorrhoids and it's totally out of control. Paired with my social anxiety (which is the main reason for my toilet phobia, the fear or judgement/embarrasment) I am now agoraphobic. If anyone has found anything helpful please I would love to hear your stories. I'm in such a bad place right now. Like I said I've had CBT (only half way through but didn't seem to help so far) and tried a hypnotherapy tester session but couldn't concentrate on anything the therapist said as I was trying to control the urge to go. Anyone have any ideas, I'm losing hope here?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information