Thread: Gential warts -> cervical cancer/pap smear?

Genital warts -> cervical cancer/pap smear?

Hi, I caught genital warts just over 2 years ago, got them treated for a few months and they finally went away and now have had no symptoms for 2 years. I am 21 and have never had a smear test, but have been sexually active since I was 18. I have only slept with one person and am still with him.

I was always under the impression that the type of HPV that causes warts was different to the types that can cause Cervical cancer. But reading stuff online about cervical cancer and HPV has got me worried. Am I at higher risk because I had genital warts? (even though I have still only slept with one person?) Should I be badgering my doctor to let me have a pap smear, or should I just wait until I'm 25?

Also if I tell the doctor I have had warts, would this make it more likely for her to let me have a smear? As I know they are usually reluctant if you are under 25.

Thanks for anyone who can help with this, it feels like everything I read on the net just gets me more and more confused.
    Last edited by 123456; 09-07-10 at 17:06.

Re: Gential warts -> cervical cancer/pap smear?

As far as I know the type of HPV virus that causes genital warts doesn't have any connection to cervical cancer. The HPV virus that can do so often has no symptoms usually. I read this on this forum actually, in the cervical cancer sticky. There is a pdf file you can download.

Re: Gential warts -> cervical cancer/pap smear?

yeah i agree with ella jayne, i had an abnormal smear result recently that needed treatment so i did lots of research and i read a few times that there are lots of different HPV viruses and the one related to genital warts isnt the one related to cervical cancer. Most of the research i did was on cervical cancer website/forum

Thread Information