Thread: Hello Im new, starting cit tonight!

Hello Im new, starting cit tonight!

Hi all,

I have just put a monster post in the introduce yourself bit, so I wont repeat it here!
    Anyway, Ive hit my rock bottom - in a bad bad way, aknowledged that I need some help, so am starting Citalopram tonight. Doc prescribed me 10mg back in Feb but I have weathered the storm and they have remained sat in my cupboard.
    I have researched every angle (anxiety does that to you.... the wonderful world of google!) I have added a shiny new phobia to my list (of taking these meds) but what the hell, I cant feel any worse than I do now so in for a penny in for a pound!
    I am going to ease myself onto them.... starting with 5mg, gradually work up to the 10.... fingers crossed the benefits outweigh any side effects!
    Thanks for all the positive reviews on here... as with most things nearly everything I have read only highlights the negative!

Re: Hello Im new, starting cit tonight!

Hi Jill
    Welcome to NMP and the Citalopram forum. Have you read the Cit Survival Guide yet at the top of this part of the forum? If not I suggest you do, it's most informative and helpful as are a lot of the people on here.

Most of the posts will highlight the negative here as most people find this site when they're looking for help and desperate. A lot of the stuff you read on the meds is there to cover the backs of the companies manufacturing and dispensing the stuff, but it can scare people and I would say that in a lot of cases the side effects people feel are either wholly or partially brought on my a mild form of mass hysteria that occurs by reading such negative things about taking these meds.

Start a diary here, you'd be surprised how much it helps

Better days Jill
    Shaun

Thanks for the reply, I've booked to see my gp tomorrow as I've been taking 5htp and not sure if I need a two week clear of it (as with st johns wort), so d-day has been delayed, but I will be starting them tomorrow if given the green light.... I just need a break from my mind for a little while if you know what I mean? the constant thinking, worrying... driving me crackers and making me physically ill!
    Your posts have been great, really helped my decision making, so thanks!
    Indeed, lets hope better days are just around the corner! x

Hiya!

I've just done my first week and believe me when I say the side effects are not as bad as what people say.

I was really terrified! But at the end of the day you get used to it, its just like having anxiety all the time and yeah weird stuff happens (like my jaw keeps clenching lol!) But just ride it out! Keep reminding yourself its the anxiety, nothing more.

I'm only 5ft 5" and 10mg was about just right to start with so try that first.

Good luck!

Hey Jill, I too was taking St. John's Wort and 5-HTP prior to starting the citalopram. I had stopped taking the SJW about 2 weeks prior, but took the 5 HTP right up until I commenced the cit. I probably should have waited a couple of weeks, but I don't think I am worse off for it. Good to see that you're playing it safe and waiting a couple of weeks. I think I was just discouraged because the SJW and 5 HTP didn't seem to do anything for me and so I wanted to start the citalopram ASAP as I knew the start-up was going to take a while and I had about 10 days off of work while on vacation to endure the bulk of initial side-effects.

Thread Information