Thread: advice please

advice please

Hi,
    Im not one for starting threads but I need some advice.
    Ive been fighting agoraphobia for what seems like forever and now Ive sort of stuck in the groove, I cant seem to go forward. Im doing the 'baby' steps and cant seem to make that small step further.
    What I want to know is would it be recommended to just go out and force myself into a panic and deal with it? I just dont know what to do next.
    Ive asked my gp for help and he offered me prozac! I dont want meds, I tried that years ago and felt worse, then I wallowed for a while but now Im fed up and want my life back, even a bit of life would be better than none. The help I wanted from my gp was therapy but as I cant get to the therapists office I cant have any. I asked for the therapy via the phone and thats a no go too. I feel like Im banging my head against a brick wall.
    Ive recovered from this before many years ago but since it returned it seems harder somehow.
    Soz for being a moaning minnie, any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

Re: advice please

Hi Carol. I had CBT over the phone that was from the NHS, so it is available. Ask your GP about it and tell him it does exsist!
    As for your agoraphobia. Give me a bit more information about where youre going at the moment, how you feel and where you want to be.

Hi Vixxy,
    I have told my gp that you can get therapy via the phone but he said its not available in our area. I even went over his head and asked the therapists themselves and they said the same. So thats a no go.
    Ive been trying by myself to overcome this and its taken over a year but Im now getting out a bit. I started by going in the car (with my dad) just up our road and back then when I was comfortable with that I went further until now Im going round a busy round-a-bout. I can get into the first aisle of my local supermarket (its about four mins away by car) I go into the shop on my own. Ive been the pub but only managed to stay there for fifteen minutes. I can walk around my road with the dog, or chasing the dog when he escapes if need be! I now want to get further but every time I go out and promise myself I will go down the High Street, I chicken out and end up just round the round-a-bout again and Im getting really annoyed with myself! Im litterally going round in circles!
    Any tips would be great and thanks for reading my post.

Hi Carol

Funnily enough I was just thinking bout you, it seems an age.

My advice to you is don't make this soooo hard on yourself, you have had stuff to deal with of late and I know the real lady behind all this stuff, you are made of tougher stuff.. you have often be my inspiration, on low days you have raised a smile and on days after silence and loneliness have started to take over...up comes this lovely lady with an email..

You are going in the wrong direction lady why are you heading for the high street in the middle of summer when you are hot, and the streets will be packed... pressure I think so. What you need to do is go for a picnic on the next summers day with the family and enjoy the weather without all the stresses along with it.. baby steps are the best steps.. don't go upsetting yourself.. or better still what about roller blading, get a long way from the house and god will you zoom if you need to turn and chase tail...lol

Sorry Carol.. what I'm trying to say is that you have done fantastically well and you are stronger than you think .. we are all supporting you and remember the off days does not mean failure.. love and hugs sent x

Hello sharon,
    Thanks for reply. I will email you in a day or two. The reason Im heading for the High Street is it has shops, pubs and restaurants and the park is just off the High Street so its win, win!
    Never mind the roller blading, at my age!!! I have thought about ridinig Amy's bike round our street and see what happens.
    Thanks for listening, take care, hugs.

lol Carol,

what can a girl say... shopping!!! food and rounded up with a lovely drink before wobbling down the park on a childs bike...sounds bloody fantastic....can I come too lol x

Hmm interesting about the CBT phone therapy.I live down south and the therapists were based somewhere up north.
    In regards to your agoraphobia.
    The first thing you need to do is accept that you are trying as hard as you can. Dont get upset and think you failed because you didnt manage something.
    Your aim is to do something and then feel positive about it on the way home. It sounds to me that when you say you only manage to get to the round about, instead of feeling good you feel pretty down about only managing that. Its not going to help with your overall mood. You need those feel good hormones so that next time you can push onto something else.
    Go to that roundabout every day until it feels ok, then decide on your next target. Keep doing it daily until that feels ok too.

Thanks Vixxy,
    I do the round-a-bout most days, I only seem to be able to trust my dad so can only get out when my parents visit. I know I should be trusting my hubby but past issues have left me feeling not at ease with him.
    I am at the stage where I am almost doing the usual run without much of a raised heart rate and feel ready to go further but at the precise moment of turning in a different direction, I just cant do it. Well I did it the other week and was elated I did a different journey but cant seem to do it again. And I think its this I am beatiing myself up about, I did it once and why not again?
    Thank you very much for your replies. it helps to know there is support and help and this does spur you on, thank you.

Thread Information