Thread: Persistent Anxiety/Panic symptoms

Persistent Anxiety/Panic symptoms

I posted this in the introductory section but I think it belongs here too:

Hi I'm Darren, I've had anxiety for a good 7 years. It all started a little while after my daughter was born, I remember my heart jumping and making me short of breath and was like "omg that feels weird" lol. Then later on in that day I couldn't sleep because of this really wrong feeling inside me, turns out I had a panic attack the nurse said (yeah I rang nhs direct). So anyway from that day onwardsI kept having them all the time everyday I had this persistent anxious feeling with all the symptoms. I tried beta blockers they didn't work, I tried many anti-depressants they didn't work either untill I tried venlafaxine which helped alot and stopped them all. HOWEVER...

after a good while I became addicted and dependant on them and it took me 3 years to get off them with a further 7 months of being weaned off and eventually I had to go cold turkey to get that crap out my system. (horrible experience) so after a while I noticed my anxiety coming back, I was sitting on a train feeling tight chested like my breathing was being restricted and I found myself not being able to concentrate on anything other than my shortness of breath, So I kept trying to breath in deeper which only made things worse... the feeling subsided once I was off the train oddly. This happened for a good year, and recently after a silly argument with a friend I had a full blown panic attack which lasted too long lol now since a few days ago I've had that persistent feeling back and I wake up like it with tight chest and funny feeling, heart jumping. I've been visiting psychological therapy groups and did fear going on the bus incase I had one (panic disorder) but I told myself no you're going on that bus wether you like it or not, and I did but unfortunately I backed up my negativity by having one because I thought I was gonna have one anyway. I spoke to my psychologist and she said best thing to do is go on the bus and say "I might have one, I might not have one. Even I do have one it's my bodys reaction to stress and it will eventually pass and I'll deal with it" apparently breathing stuff doesn't work with me because focusing on my breathing makes it worse, So to get over mine I need to ride them out and distract myself as much as possible. Sometimes complex distraction works and I feel a little more relaxed but sometimes I fall into the circle again by thinking about what happened the other day.

Well that was a lot I typed lol I joined this forum hoping to get some advice because feeling like this everyday is draining and I just want to get back to "normal" which is defined in my opinion as what I was before I had panic symptoms. I was more relaxed I could do everything I wanted without worrying about feeling like that and enjoyed life. I enjoy life now but it definately feels restricted right now.

anyway hope I bored you all enough

OH also....... if anyone has msn/windows live messenger add me c-h-a-o-s@hotmail.co.uk
    I could do with making some new friends in the same situation maybe we can help each other... I'm usually better at helping people than myself and can be totally logical to someone elses thoughts apart from my own hehe. I'm from the UK (london)

Re: Persistent Anxiety/Panic symptoms

Welcome. I hope you find many friends here. Everyone is very friendly and you can get lots of advice. I have a panic disorder that I have been dealing with. Am taking ativan, at a very small dose. They want me to take an anti-depressant because I have lost more than 20 pounds. I have tried several, but for only one night, I always wake up in the middle of the night with a panic attack and a racing heart. But, I decided to try Zoloft again (only took it one night before) and try to get through the panic attacks. I have a very bad med phobia, so i am assuming that this is part of the problem.

hiya the more you wory the more likely to bring on a panic attack ! but you already no that !!!! breathing such a good way to tryin control this you no now evertime you go to step on the bus you ve so convinced your self about the panic attack gonna happen !visous circle !hypnosis cognective therapy retrain the way u think yoga is good teaches you who body to stretrch relax n learn how to breath properly . even get a dvd on breathing or yoga . controlling the mind to do what you want to do ! takes alot of time effort aint gonna go away overnite . gradually is the key feeling comfortable with each situation n u will get there u have too otherwise mess up u life ! sorry hope all that ,makes sence oh cant spell !!!!! L ondon well ESSEX!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by georgina20; 17-07-10 at 21:51.

Just waiting for my psychologist to call, I've had a bit of agoraphobia recently, since visting my mums walking there and back was draining, I had to sit down too because I had a deep fast breathing episode near icelands (sunday) and walking there was pretty hardcore too. My psychologist thinks I need further analyzing and she's speaking to someone today about it and will give me a call back. I rang the doctor too today just as a back up. Medication is the easy way out people say but sometimes CBT Doesn't work for everyone despite it's high success rate. Medication worked for me before I know it has pros and cons... side effects being most of the cons plus obviously with things returning. Usually when people stop medication anxiety can return, mine did... but panic attacks only came out because I got worked up over a silly situation that occured and kinda forgot to calm down. so now Im back to SQ 1 like I was 7 years ago, I'll listen to see what my psychologist says, but Meds are looking more likely. I've tried to go out (shopping, bus, mothers house) but I'm seeing no difference and it's much easier to stay indoors because lets face it who wants to feel like that outside ??

Fighting it is important I know but some people never totally get cured of it without meds, and meds ok mask symptoms but do give PERFECT relief during that time, I just want my life back and I'm not willing to wait and fight it for years before they go that's ridiculous... I'm 27. I haven't seen someone in nearlly 7/8 weeks because the person lives 60 miles away, so 1hr 10 mins train ride is something that would seem impossible right now without getting anxious or having an attack. I feel REALLY guilty I haven't been down there.... and I'm not sure I can next week...... argh.

Darren,

Concentrating on breathing always makes my anxiety or panic worse. The best way is not concentrate on it. You have to think how you can distract yourself from it. I read before - if you think your body will suddenly forget how to breath, they try and hold your breath intentionally, and you will se it doesnt matter how much you will try to hold the breath, eventually you will gasp for air because our bodies are designed to protect us.
    Its good to keep it in mind and then the fear associated with breathing will fade.

Thread Information