Thread: On Sertraline 150mg for 1O Years

On Sertraline 150mg for 1O Years

I was prescribed Lustral (sertraline) about 10 years ago as part of the treatment for Depression and Anorexia Nervosa.

Has anyone ever been able to come off this medication after such a long time ?

I have tried so many times, but always failed as everything gets totally 'out of control' if you know what I mean.

I dont even know why I want to stop taking it as I am still living with the illness. I guess I just feel I need to do something to change things.

Sorry if none of this post makes any sense

Re: On Sertraline 150mg for 1O Years

I have been reading through some posts on here relating to Sertraline and it would seem that I am actually on a very high dose (150mg)

Is anyone else on this dose ?

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Hi Ruby

I'm on 100mg, but my GP is considering putting me up to 150mg. The higher dose is used if 100mg doesn't work very well, or for OCD (So he says). I guess anorexia could kind of fall into OCD.

I haven't tried to come off sertraline before. I did withdraw from Seroxat after 5 years, and frankly it wasn't a very enjoyable experience (to put it mildly). So whenever I've come off drugs since then, it's to cross taper onto a new one. Sertraline is known for having a discontinuation syndrome, so that could be why you were feeling rough.

Why do you feel the need to change things? If it ain't broke...etc

Dahlia

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    Hi Ruby

I'm on 100mg, but my GP is considering putting me up to 150mg. The higher dose is used if 100mg doesn't work very well, or for OCD (So he says). I guess anorexia could kind of fall into OCD.

I haven't tried to come off sertraline before. I did withdraw from Seroxat after 5 years, and frankly it wasn't a very enjoyable experience (to put it mildly). So whenever I've come off drugs since then, it's to cross taper onto a new one. Sertraline is known for having a discontinuation syndrome, so that could be why you were feeling rough.

Why do you feel the need to change things? If it ain't broke...etc

Dahlia
    Yes, I guess you are right there. My head is all over the place at the moment.
    Thank you for replying.

im on 150 at the min i have been on 200 but didnt want to be that high and 150 is fine, i wouldnt worry about the dose, whatever help you is good
    x

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinblack View Post
    im on 150 at the min i have been on 200 but didnt want to be that high and 150 is fine, i wouldnt worry about the dose, whatever help you is good
    x
    Thanks, I realise now that stopping medication is not an option for me.
    I'm too messed up !!

hi, been on lustral for nearly 11 yrs. 150mg. Have been told by dr that will properbly be on them till the day i die. This is fine by me as long as i know. I only have to forget them for a couple of days and it is bad.
    jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday View Post
    I was prescribed Lustral (sertraline) about 10 years ago as part of the treatment for Depression and Anorexia Nervosa.

Has anyone ever been able to come off this medication after such a long time ?

I have tried so many times, but always failed as everything gets totally 'out of control' if you know what I mean.

I dont even know why I want to stop taking it as I am still living with the illness. I guess I just feel I need to do something to change things.

Sorry if none of this post makes any sense

I'm on 150mg of Lustral - but now moving to 175 - as its simply not doing the job.

Find if very difficult to get up and about in the mornings and theres the occassional heartburn - but despite all this, I would be quite prepared to put up with the side effects if it could only help me through...

hi there im on 200mg of sertraline and i dont notice any difference. my gp put me straight on 100mg then to 150 and then the shrink upped it to this and says i have to give it 3 months for it to work im on week 3 of 200mg so im hoping it will get better.

Thread Information