Thread: How can I help to control my symptoms?

How can I help to control my symptoms?

I'm taking citalopram at the moment for depression but also suffer anxiety. I am generally an anxious person and worry about everything, even when I'm not depressed.

I don't really suffer physical symptoms of anxiety except in very rare cases - for me the symptoms are mental, but I'd love to know how I can control them better. My typical response to panic/anxiety is to burst into tears, feel overwhelmed and hopeless, lose my temper and have an uncontrollable urge to shout, kick, slam doors, throw objects...basically extreme bursts of rage. I'm putting the fight in fight or flight! I've had this all my life. Afterwards I always feel embarrased but I can't seem to stop this reaction.

How can I stop this happening because I'm so tired of it. It's highly embarrasing and does not help me in any way.
    Last edited by Oddfish; 20-07-10 at 06:46.

Re: How can I help to control my symptoms?

I know exactly where you are coming from, as I could wrote that post, I find that I tend to have these rages in private but if I am in public then its either the crying or I get up and leave and everyone wonders what the hell is wrong,

I have told a close friend who is helping me through this and we often talk which I finds helps or I write everything down in a book including how I am feeling. I do find it does help me xxxxxx

I wish I could do these outbursts every time I have anxiety and panic.

Normally it goes inside and then i deal with it later.

My symptom today ; cant smell and taste (eat as well). Severe anxiety causing it for me.

I'm with you Thumbalina, I often wish I could lash out and have a rage, but everything goes internalised and I just kill myself from the inside.

I would say let the rages and outbursts come, it has got to be healthier to let the frustration and misery out (as long as you're not hurting yourself or anyone else by doing it).

Quote Originally Posted by leanne78 View Post
    I know exactly where you are coming from, as I could wrote that post, I find that I tend to have these rages in private but if I am in public then its either the crying or I get up and leave and everyone wonders what the hell is wrong,

I have told a close friend who is helping me through this and we often talk which I finds helps or I write everything down in a book including how I am feeling. I do find it does help me xxxxxx
    Same with me, usually in public it's biting my lip, forcing back tears (usually unsuccessfully) and having to walk out before I make a scene, but occasionally I snap. The other day I was due to go out but had one of these tantrums before I left. I quickly pulled myself together as I was running late, but when I got outside I tripped over an ornament in the garden and that did it. I burst into tears, picked up the ornament and hurled it at the wall smashing it, only to see a neighbour looking at me open-mouthed in horror (doesn't help that outwardly I seem such a nice, calm, quiet person so it's like a deep dark secret)! I was so embarrassed I ran back inside and was in such a hysterical mess that I couldn't go out again!

These rages are generally short lived (though when I was younger they could last for days). I'm usually left sobbing in a pathetic ball for a while, but after a good cry I always start to feel really calm, like I'm doped up on drugs. It definitely releases something in my body. Unfortunately that feeling doesn't last very long. I'm not sure that it is healthy though. It's been going on for years and I'll end up having a heart attack at this rate! Either that or I'll self combust.
    Last edited by Oddfish; 20-07-10 at 16:18.

With the symptoms I guess it's better to flow on them and then they will pass faster. It's better to aknowledge fheir presense and nothing else then when there is no more attention to them - they will dissolve.

With the symptoms I guess it's better to flow on them and then they will pass faster. It's better to aknowledge fheir presense and nothing else then when there is no more attention to them - they will dissolve.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyvee View Post
    Same with me, usually in public it's biting my lip, forcing back tears (usually unsuccessfully) and having to walk out before I make a scene, but occasionally I snap. The other day I was due to go out but had one of these tantrums before I left. I quickly pulled myself together as I was running late, but when I got outside I tripped over an ornament in the garden and that did it. I burst into tears, picked up the ornament and hurled it at the wall smashing it, only to see a neighbour looking at me open-mouthed in horror (doesn't help that outwardly I seem such a nice, calm, quiet person so it's like a deep dark secret)! I was so embarrassed I ran back inside and was in such a hysterical mess that I couldn't go out again!

These rages are generally short lived (though when I was younger they could last for days). I'm usually left sobbing in a pathetic ball for a while, but after a good cry I always start to feel really calm, like I'm doped up on drugs. It definitely releases something in my body. Unfortunately that feeling doesn't last very long. I'm not sure that it is healthy though. It's been going on for years and I'll end up having a heart attack at this rate! Either that or I'll self combust.
    Must say thats what happens to me normally I can hold it in till I get indoors, take yesterday I took my son to the shop and he had a huge tantrum in the shop I was soooo embarrassed nearly lost it, with him but I never do as soon as I got in he went and got in bed and I just lost it and started chucking stuff, didn't break any thing and my son is not in danger, cried for what seemed like ages, people I know don't know about this and I am having CBT at the moment but finding it really hard to open up as I also suppress my feelings so it's my little secret that i can not tell people I know.

Thread Information