Thread: new job = low self worth...advice please!

new job = low self worth...advice please!

Hi guys,

I recently started a new job as a Healthcare Assistant in a nursing home via a nursing agency. I have just finished my first year of general nursing but this didn't equip me with much physical experience, more theory etc.
    Anyways, I started my job a few weeks ago and have done about 7 or 8 days ( 12 hour shifts). The staff are nice enough there - but I was never orientated to the ward and I feel like a fool cos I never seem to understand the routine. Also, anytime i ask one of my colleagues a question its like there looking down on me because i "should" know. Perhaps I am making these assumptions but there have been several times that ppl have made it clear that im not experienced.

The problem is I love to work with the patients but I hate going into work because I'm having trouble grasping the routine. It makes me feel bad about myself that I can't do my job.

Am I putting too much pressure on myself to be able to do the job perfectly? I mean, i've only been at it a week or so technically...

It's just been getting me really down because I feel inadequate and this is adding to my anxiety quite alot..

any advice i will listen

Re: new job = low self worth...advice please!

I have worked in many nursing homes over the years and i'm a bit disappointed that no-one is supporting you, whenever anyone new came to one of the homes i always took them under my wing until they knew the ropes properly.

Is there any one person that maybe you could ask for help there?

di x

when ever you start a new job it takes time to know the routines as every employer has different routines. You will pick it up as you go along. Try not to worry and just take one day at a time

denise

yes its typical, but its true there should be at least one decent person, that knows how it feels to be new to something.

i think the problem is that the place is undertstaffed so nobody has the time to explain things to me. instead, i make a mistake and ppl look down at me for that. another problem is, all the staff bar myself are non nationals and there english can be poor. i find it very difficult to understand them so its difficult for them to explain things.

im trying not to worry about it but its just really annoying, i feel like a total outcast!

anybody who starts new job feels like outcast - its normal, you dont know the house rules, the basic stuff its always takes time.

It very hard to find a place where everybody makes you feel welcomed. There are many unsecure people in any organisation and they have their protection on before its even required.

Just look around and dont worry to make mistakes, ask if you have a question, even twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbalina View Post
    anybody who starts new job feels like outcast - its normal, you dont know the house rules, the basic stuff its always takes time.

It very hard to find a place where everybody makes you feel welcomed. There are many unsecure people in any organisation and they have their protection on before its even required.

Just look around and dont worry to make mistakes, ask if you have a question, even twice.
    thank you, thats really good advice.

like why should i be worried ... everyone makes mistakes and its how we all learn. guess it just tickles my low self esteem, usually im the "know it all" *cringe!* and now i know nothing!!

Hi Rachel 123,

Dont be too hard on yourself. It will take a bit of time to learn routines and 'how it happens' and maybe a bit longer because no ones showing you. Try not to let it get you down, im sure you'll pick it up. Take care

thanks guys

Thread Information